cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where To Find 2G SD for Powershot A520?

abrogard
Contributor

The HD cards for my A520 are getting hard to find and mega priced on ebay when I do find them.

And sometimes they don't work.  I got some and they didn't work and on inspection by software it turned out they were rebadged 16G or something cards - no doubt rebadged as 2G on the grounds that 2G of available space would be found on them or something.

But the Canon camera software just wouldn't use them.

Now I see I can more easily get 2G micro SD.   Now one of them in an adapter would fit into the camera, I suppose.  The question is:  would the camera accept that?

In essence:  how to best handle my camera's storage card problems? 

and,  p.s.,  I'm in Australia.  Sometimes that makes a significant difference in availibility and price.

and p.p.s.  can anyone tell what it is that Canon software looks at on the cards to decide it won't use them?  Because that might be a place under our control to change that setting.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@abrogard wrote:

The HD cards for my A520 are getting hard to find and mega priced on ebay when I do find them.

An sometimes they don't work.  I got some and they didn't work an on inspection by software it turned out they were rebadged 16G or something cards - no doubt rebadged as 2G on the grounds that 2G of available space would be found on them or something.

But the Canon camera software just wouldn't use them.

Now I see I can more easily get 2G micro SD.   Now one of them in an adapter would fit into the camera, I suppose.  The question is:  would the camera accept that?

In essence:  how to best handle my camera's storage card problems? 

and,  p.s.,  I'm in Australia.  Sometimes that makes a significant difference in availibility and price.

Avoid micro-SD cards with adapters at all costs.  They are very unreliable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You mean in a camera or just generally?   I find micro sd to be reliable so I guess you mean in an adapter.  I think I've some xperience of that and I think you might be right there.

Some older cameras like the earlier Powershots may not be able to recognize memory cards larger than 2 or 4 GB. I think it's a matter of the type of formatting that the camera requires. If there's any pawn shops near you, you might see if they have any loose bits hanging around and find a used card that way. Don't worry about getting a particularly fast card... The camera doesn't require it.

There's a surprising number of posts here with problems that seem to be related to using micro SD cards with adapters in Canon cameras. Sometimes they work OK for months and fail mysteriously. Other times they never do work properly. And Canon recommends using only full size SD cards.

That being said, in your case you might try using a micro SD card and adapter in your camera and keep your fingers crossed. I doubt you'll do any harm to your camera, but don't be surprised if it all goes wonky on you for seemingly no reason. Not a big deal as long as you don't consider your photos to be irreplaceable.

@abrogard wrote:

You mean in a camera or just generally?   I find micro sd to be reliable so I guess you mean in an adapter.  I think I've some xperience of that and I think you might be right there.

Try B&H Photo Video in NYC.  They have one brand still in stock.  

43F38DFE-1324-4032-BB43-BF6B61E3BF96.jpeg

Buy several.

Thanks for that.  I've taken note of the location.  If I can't find elsewhere I'll get from them but it'll cost me more than $20 AU for each.  I might be able to do better than that locally if I look a little more, a little harder.  🙂

@abrogard wrote:

Thanks for that.  I've taken note of the location.  If I can't find elsewhere I'll get from them but it'll cost me more than $20 AU for each.  I might be able to do better than that locally if I look a little more, a little harder.  🙂

They only cost $7 USD each.  There may be other brands out there.  You will not be able to order from B&H, who only delivers within the US borders.

The postage calculator on their page calculated $13 to Australia,  that's why I said $20.

Yep.  I'll look around.  situation just got worse - I had two on hand and now I can't find them.  I'm going to keep at canon and see if I can find what it is the software looks at to decide it won't accept the thing.

If stuck try the micro SD card .

The holder for the micro SD card is not very robust, but with care they aren't so fickle as to avoid at all costs  

I gather you're in Australia. 

Have you tried some of the shops that sell stuff cheap  

Reject shop  Shiploads  Couple we have here  

Announcements