cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software won't recognize SX50 camera

sfdemt
Apprentice

I installed the software, and uninstalled and reinstalled but the software still does not recognize my camera.  I know my computer does because it shows up in image capture.  Help!

5 REPLIES 5

Jason
Whiz

Hi, sfdemt!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer.

Thanks and have a great day!

sorry, I am on an I Mac running the latest OS, which i believe is called Mavericks.

Hello -- I had the same problem and just about 2 minutes ago, received the following info from support.  I was told that they are going to release an update making the software compatible with Mavericks and that it was to come out sometime around the end of November.  Because I need to make a plan around it, I wrote back for a closer approximation, since we are now into December.  Here is what I got in the email from Support:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding software for your PowerShot SX50 HS camera.

Canon is conducting compatibility tests for the current versions of Canon digital imaging software with the shipping versions of the new Mac operating system.  Results will be posted soon at www.powershot.com.  For now, Canon is not claiming compatibility with this version of Mac OS.

Mac OS X 10.1 and newer come with Image Capture drivers that support most of Canon's digital cameras with USB interfaces.  When a compatible camera is connected to a compatible Mac computer running OS X 10.1 and newer, the computer detects the camera and automatically launches Image Capture.  This Apple program allows JPEG images in the camera to be downloaded to the Macintosh.  Try doing the following to download the images:

1.  Click on your hard drive.

2.  Open your APPLICATIONS folder.

3.  Open the program that says IMAGE CAPTURE. 

4.  With Image Capture still open, click on the IMAGE CAPTURE menu, found on the top left corner of your screen, next to the Apple icon. 

5.  Select the option that reads PREFERENCES.

6.  The dialogue box that appears should say something like "When camera connected open."  From the pull down menu select IMAGE CAPTURE and then close the window. 

The next time you connect the camera to the USB and power it on in replay mode, Image Capture should come up and download picture files on the camera. 

I haven't tried this yet.  Just thought I'd post this info while I had the time.  I hope it helps you.

Marie

"4.  With Image Capture still open, click on the IMAGE CAPTURE menu, found on the top left corner of your screen, next to the Apple icon. 

5.  Select the option that reads PREFERENCES."

I have the same problem and I just tried this solution in the Mavericks OS.

There is no "Preferences" opion in the Image Capture menu.

If you click on Image Capture > Services, then you can select a sub-menu option called "Services Preferences" but that must be something completely different from what Canon product support is talking about because it takes you into System Preferences and does NOT lead to the dialogue box they mention.

What I ended up doing is pulling the pics up in Preview, then importing them to iPhoto.  It is a long way around, but there didn't seem to be any other way to get them into the computer.  Meanwhile, I keep checking for a software update, but nothing has appeared.  

Announcements