cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I wait for the Canon G7X Mark IV?

roselenny
Apprentice

I have an internal debate, I want to buy the g7x mark iii but I'm afraid that the second I do it, the second canon launches the IV. My question to you all, do you think Canon will EVER launch a mark IV in 2024? or is the iii the final one of the 7gx serie?

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite

Only Canon would know.  The original G7X was introduced in 2014.  The Mark II in 2016 and the Mark III in 2019.  So if Canon is planning to continue this line, and past history can be used as an average (these are all huge ifs), then the Mark IV is quite overdue.

A better question to ask though if the features of the G7X III will meet your current needs both now and for at least a few years to come.  New electronic gear is always around the corner.  Same for computers, TVs, stereo equipment, etc.

Having said that, it is also wise to see when a particular piece of equipment was introduced to get a better understanding of how long it may still be supported.  Going on 5 years of age, the Mark III should have between 2 to 5 years remaining of support.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Uneternal
Contributor

I'm pretty sure they will sooner or later. Canon cannot ignore the current trend of integrated lens cameras like the Fuji X100 line. Also, there's a huge surge in demand for the G7X Mark II and Mark III, so the prices inflated into lunacy. Currently you pay as much for a used G7XIII as you paid for a new G1XIII back in the day. And I'm pretty sure Canon is aware of this situation (and that they're losing these sales).

However, we also know Canon is a slow giant and reacts slowly to trends. It might be another year until we see another Powershot, or maybe they surprise us in November. Who knows?

But my wild guess (or wishful thinking) is that they're gonna release a retro-styled competitor to the Fuji X100. Maybe it's gonna be a redesigned G1X Mark IV with the look of a Canon AE-1. 🤷🏻‍
I'm not a marketing expert, but I think it would generate a lot of sales, especially if paired with a fast lens that matches the 23mm f/2 of the Fuji X100VI.

Announcements