cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX700 and Windows XP

Harolnick
Contributor

I just bought Canon SX700 and wonder the best way to use Wi-Fi, since I still use Windows XP. (Personally important, since I lost my last Canon last week in Turkey, losing 300 shots!)

Any other limitations with Windows XP?

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

jazzman1
Rising Star

You must know that windows XP is an outdated OS that Microsoft has stopped supporting.   Many Manufactuers no longer update and support their products for XP.  Most likely you'll have many issues with that.  Your best bet is to upgrade your OS if you want to connect your Camera via WI-FI, and use your Canon Software.  You may have any number of issues with your Canon Gear and software with XP.   Just a tip.............Microsoft is coming out tis month with the new Windows 10 Operating System.  They're giving it away for free to all who have Windows 7...8...and 8.1.   XP and Vista will not get the free upgrade.   For your Camera to get the best results, you'll need a newer Windows Operating System (OS) .

Thanks. Yes, I've realized for a long time that XP (an excellent system) has been farmed out , like an aged champion boxer  Nor is procrastinatinghardly in my best interest. But was still hoping that Canon might work in one of the Wi-Fi functions. Oh well, better start thinking about upgrading.

Thanks. Yes, I've realized for a long time that XP (an excellent system) has been farmed out , like an aged champion boxer  Nor is procrastinating hardly in my best interest. But was still hoping that Canon might work in one of the Wi-Fi functions. Oh well, better start thinking about upgrading.

@Harolnick wrote:

Thanks. Yes, I've realized for a long time that XP (an excellent system) has been farmed out , like an aged champion boxer  Nor is procrastinating hardly in my best interest. But was still hoping that Canon might work in one of the Wi-Fi functions. Oh well, better start thinking about upgrading.

My suggestion is get either windows 7, or windows 8.1.  Bypass windows 8, you'd have to upgrade to 8.1 anyway.  That way, since you will get windows 10 for free, you will have both OS, once windows 10 is available.  Then you could revert back to windows 7...or 8.1, if you did'nt like windows 10.  in fact, since windows 10 will be new it may have a few buggy problems, as many new windows OS have in the startup.   Many peeps will wait a few weeks before installing windows 10 to see if there's any problems and issues with the new system.    Since I have 5 Pc's I'm going forward with windows 10 on one of my Pc's.   I also suggest you buy the CD boxed OS, not the downloadable version.  That way you'll have your very own "physical OS disc", and not have to worry about download problems with the installation.  You can get the boxed OS online, or at retail stores.

Thanks. This isn't a Forum on operating systems,  but I see your point. Have no fears  of learning a new system, but losing my programs (the data is all backed up) is a great anxiety. I'll make a list of the programs today, take a deep breath after the holiday weekend, be a big boy and get down to it.

@Harolnick wrote:

Thanks. This isn't a Forum on operating systems,  

But this surely applies here.  Most camera software cannot be used without a PC.  You even need a Pc to download the manuals and other updates for our gear.  It's kosher here, in this instance.  Good luck with your new OS.

You're right, of course. Got much to do this week (including sobs over losing such great Turkish shots on my lost memory card)., but then will get to work on updating things.

Smiley Very Happy thumbs up

Announcements