cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX60 HS Lens error

Killdeer
Contributor

I need guidance on the general area this problem likely arises:

Turned on the camera yesterday and got the following: 'Lens error, will ...., restart camera' and the lens barrel then remained projecting open approx 15mm. There has been no previous damage to the lens when extended.

This is the sequence when I turn it on now (barrel is extended 15 mm prior to power on):

Power on - barrel returns to normal closed position - then opens 15 mm - closes - opens to 15 mm - closes - opens to 15 mm and get the 5 beeps and error message - closes - opens to 15 mm then powers off.

Nothing shows on the viewfinder during this process - except error message

It doesn't appear to be a jammed lens, so is it a motor or software issue?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
I find it odd that the barrel is extended before you turn it on. I had an SX60HS and it shrank back into its socket completely upon shutting it down. Have you tried to manually focus the camera at any stage?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I primarily use the camera in automatic and at full zoom for about 95% of the time (birder). I tinkered with the manual settings when I first got it - at least 3 years ago, including manual focus but it's generally been auto ever since.

I'm going to attempt the Jay Gould (Youtube) strip down, clean, and (without a lot of optimism) reassembly. Failing that it's a new camera. I was hoping to get an indication from the sequence on start up if this might be a stuck barrel problem which presumably cleaning may fix or possibly it needs a new motor.

Thanks for your response Trevor.

Sorry to learn that you have had issues. I used the Sx 30, 40, 50 and 60 units so with much regret I jumped ship, moving on to the Sony RX-10 - only a 24-600 zoom equivalent, but the sensor is a 1" unit, much bigger and the optics are amazing - it's also weather sealed and has a stacked CMOS sensor with 24FPS fast shutter.  Hard for me to do as a Canon afficianado - just check out my gear list to see my level of commitment... 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements