cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Canon PowerShot A590. Need to know how to set the camera for shooting in an LED lightbox.

suzig
Apprentice

I have a small shop on Etsy and took all the photos for the shop with my PowerShot but the lighting was fluorescent.  I changed all the lighting in my studio to LED shop lights and got a small white box to shoot in.  It has LED strips above and below.  I've tried and tried to set for taking pics with all LED lighting but they come out with a blue hue.  I really need to know how to set the camera.  I called Canon, they don't support my camera anymore.  My local camera store closed last year and never reopened.  I've asked Google over and over but can't find answers that help.  I just know some basic stuff about my camera so I need some really specific answers/help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks so much for the straightforward advice.  I'll test the settings as soon as I get a new lightbox.  Apparently, something went bad while it sat unused for so many months.  I'm living Murphy's Law.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Definitely sounds like the LED bulbs you have are not matching your camera's white balance setting.

I first have to ask though if you captured your photos in RAW. If so, white balance isn't baked in and thus correctable. If you captured all to JPEG, it won't be correctable. Or at least may lead to poor quality.

Anyhow, back to white balance.  If the LED bulbs you have are "Warm" or around 3200 K, then they will match incandescent bulbs. So endure you use that white balance setting. Otherwise is the LED bulbs are classified as "Daylight" or around 5000 K, then choose the daylight color balance on the camera.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I hate to even start writing this, I will sound like a complete flake.

I save every piece of paperwork for stuff I buy and yet I can't find anything on the 3 ceiling shop lights in my studio but I think I bought the brightest I could find so I would say they are daylight.

I can't find anything on the photo tent/lightbox.  I tried Googling the name on the side to see if I could find others for sale to get info.  No luck.  There isn't anything I can find on or in the box to give a hint and I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it.

I know, I sound really flaky!

I didn't save any of the pictures that came out bad.  I thought I knew that White Balance was my problem but I also thought I tried all the settings and nothing got better.  To be honest, that was almost 2 years ago, just a COVID was taking hold and I couldn't find face-to-face help so I stuffed all the photo stuff in a corner and went back to making jewelry.  Now I have too much inventory and no solution for my photo problems.

Unless the bulbs are extremely specialized, there should only be two possibilities: they are either 3200 K color temperature or 5000 K color temperature.

With the lights on for your subject, set the camera's white balance to incandescent (light bulb; approx 3200 K) and capture an image.  If that doesn't work, then set the camera's white balance to daylight.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks so much for the straightforward advice.  I'll test the settings as soon as I get a new lightbox.  Apparently, something went bad while it sat unused for so many months.  I'm living Murphy's Law.

Announcements