cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX50HS waterproof housing ?

John_
Authority

Is there a waterproof housing out for the SX50 ? I see Canon does not have one and with summer coming I'd like to expand my shots on, in and under the water.

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

Next best bet then is to try Ikelite, but they are more expensive than Canon housings. If Ikelite doesn't make one then it may be very expensive relative to what you're planning on spending. If you haven't shot underwater it's not like on land & having a long lens is pretty useless. Underwater photography is best done with a macro lens thru maybe as long as 100 mm but in general you usually are shootings things that are close to you.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Ok thanks and yes I want to shoot close up under water as well as have the protection above water in case of accidents or splashes. Plus the fish in the lake I go to are pretty friendly and swim close up to people, it would be nice to be able to take shots under the water of them.

I've seen those generic type waterproof bags but don't know much about them.

Avoid those bags. If you can't find a housing for the SX50 at a reasonable price go for one of the underwater P & S cameras like the Canon DC 20 or it's competition. B & H has a very good selection of underwater stuff too so using their search engine may show you some options in housings. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I decided to try B & H. Not good, I think you may want to go about this differently.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Underwater+housing+for+Canon+SX+50&bhs=t&N=0&Submit=Search+...

You might want to consider buying a camera & housing thru E bay etc. Divers are always upgrading to newer & better but my G9 still gets the job done.

Some of the housings I saw are more expensive than the cameras themselves.

Ikelite has nothing for the SX50 and their prices are pretty steep. I have an old G5 that still works, Ikelite had a housing for that, although unavailable now it looks like the price for the housing was originally $600...thats insane.

I am keeping an eye on the auction site, and as you said, rethinking this all over.

Thank you !

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Do what I just did.

Consider a refurbished original G1X $300 from Canon Direct.

The Canon WP-DC 44 underwater case for that is availble for $99 from several retailers.

You wont find a better value in a large sensor underwater camera.

You know I got an email from Canon announcing their refurb sale and I think they had an underwater package deal, camera and housing.  By time I looked again it was sold out. I want to say it was in the $500 range for both.

Canon has a sale on Refurbished cameras right now, the G1X is 292.49.and in stock.

I purchased the WP-DC44 case for it from B&H for $99.

The Canon WWDC1 case weights were $23 from Amazon.

So for under $425 you can have a great underwater camera, with a sensor larger than a m4/3 camera.

You wont find a dSLR waterproof case alone for twice that price, and you still need to add the camera.

edit: just checked B&H still has the case in stock for $99

lol Im checking my funds right now !

Thanks, thats about $100 less than what I saw on the refurb sale !

Announcements