cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

"A customer on Amazon says, if you use a microsdhc card with adapter

than there is no battery indicator problem."

What mem card has got to do with battery drain when zooming?  I am sorry, some are so religioulsy blind that they still want to prove the earth is flat.

I have already done that experience and doesn't work.... 

I saw on YouTube that if you hold the sx280 at roughly eye level and drop it on the floor that it fixes the flashing battery light. Has anyone else tried this? Please note that if you're in the Southern Hemisphere, you apparently have to throw the camera up at the ceiling. Please advise if anyone has had success with either of these methods.

I read in Reader's Digest that in a ouija board spiritualist session, Harry Houdini said that if a person is immersed chained in a tank, with the Canon SX280 clamped with teeth and he escapes, the battery problem is solved !

Naomi
Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

We want to address the comments we’ve seen regarding the early battery warning on the PowerShot SX280 HS in movie mode even after installing the latest firmware.  Because a greater amount of power is consumed by recording movies than for shooting stills, the battery warning is designed to appear early in order to safeguard your recordings.  This is more likely to occur if the zoom is used frequently during movie recording and when the video quality is set to FullHD Mode.  However, movie recording can still be carried out for the officially stated length of time (25 minutes on a full charge).  If you need further support, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.  For contact options, please click here.

Thank you.

So that means the problem is officially fixed? Thanks for replying to me so quickly.

Wow!!! All of today's down and dirty firework emails have been removed!!! Yikes!! If you missed it- it was a soap opera!

I am not sure that everyone will agree with the post from Naomi/Canon. But the bottom line message is- if your sx280, does not do what Naomi states- then contact Canon and persue your issue. The latest firmware improved my camera- enough so that I still WANTED to keep it- but was unsure if I should- since I still had issues, I persued Canon, SO shockingly for a second time I have decided to send my Canon sx280 back to the service center- And the saga continues

@hharwood wrote:
So that means the problem is officially fixed? Thanks for replying to me so quickly.

Ha. Like magic. You should've come on here weeks ago!

RCJ
Enthusiast

I think that was admin's way of saying shut up and go outside. Which is good advice. I'm out. Thanks very much for the reply Canon and good luck to all with the camera-tweaking. 

The problem is fixed?? I do not get near 25 minutes of video

They must be channeling Ron Ziegler

Announcements