cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX 50 HS memory card

Timelord1963
Apprentice

I recently purchased a SX 50 HS camera and want to use it primarily for bird watching.

I am told it can take a SDHC card up to 32 GB or a SDXC up to 2 Tb. However, it does not support any UHS 1, 2 or 3

every SDXC card I have looked at uses a UHS class. can someone give me a link to a high-speed SD card that does not have a UHS rating? Birds tend to fly away so I want to make my camera as fast as possible.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is unwise to use high capacity memory cards.  One failure, means you lose everything, hundreds of shots.  Spread the load across multiple memory cards.  

I would recommend the Sandisk Extreme [not Extreme Pro] 32GB memory cards.  Be sure to format them in the camera prior to first use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I do not understand, the normal Scandisk extreme is UHS-1 class, hence I can't use it. I will need to drop down to the SDHC class 10 which is far slower.

What do you mean by 1 failure and I lose hundreds of shots? The speed is how fast the data is processed. The faster it gets processed the shorter time you are in busy mode.

He meant that if you use a large capacity card and put hundreds/ thousands of pictures on it and that card fails you will lose all of them whereas if you use multiple smaller capacity cards with fewer pictures on them the risk is less.

Something is being lost in translation here.

Cannon noted if I use a UHS class card it would be non-compatible with my camera. so I could not take 1 photo much less 100's

Cannon stated I can use SDXC card up to two TB, but all SDXC cards are UHS class. Do I just have to format them to my camera to get the same speed?

Is the fastest card I can use an SDHC class 10?

Can I use an SDXC that can write 80 Mb/sec? That is the speed for the Scandisk 32 Gb Extreme. The 32 Gb Extreme is a UHS 1 class.

Primary use will be bird watching. Everyone is talking about the volume of how many pictures I have on one card, I want to find out the greatest speed. Birds have a tendency to fly away, so I want to get a handle on speed.

@Timelord1963 wrote:

I do not understand, the normal Scandisk extreme is UHS-1 class, hence I can't use it. I will need to drop down to the SDHC class 10 which is far slower.

What do you mean by 1 failure and I lose hundreds of shots? The speed is how fast the data is processed. The faster it gets processed the shorter time you are in busy mode.

I do not have a camera similar to the SX50, but I use Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro cards almost exclusively in my DSLRs.  The UHS-1 cards seem to be just fine in Canon gear.  Ultimately, maximum read and write speed is determined by your camera, not the memory card.  Of course, there are exceptions to that rule of thumb.

The problem with using a high performance card in your camera is that sometimes the card must enter a “compatibility mode”, which slows down its’ actual performance.  Most of the time, this performance hit is pretty severe.  Since your camera cannot work at the high performance speed of some cards, then the card must slow itself down and operate in a degraded mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements