cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot ELPH 330 HS: Direct Charging via Interface Cable?

Ferocactus
Apprentice

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade to a better camera for casual macro photography, and currently own a Samsung WB35F; it allows me to charge the camera itself (while the battery is still inside) during use and when not in use, by connecting the interface cable (USB cord) from camera to powerstrip/USB port on a computer. Does the ELPH 330 HS have the same functionality? I tend to keep my WB35F tethered during long photo shoots, and want to know if I can do the same with the ELPH.

Also, will I need to deal with opening the "Canon Utility" app if transferring images to my computer via a card reader? As it is with the WB35F, all I have to do is plug the camera into the computer, turn it on, and select images from the folder that pops up (see photos). I hope the process with the ELPH is similarly streamlined when using a card reader.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 11.05.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-28 at 11.06.20 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

First, your second question.   To download photos you do not need to use the Canon utility.  You can either plug it into the computer direct as you described, or remove the SD card and plug that in directly - which saves battery drain on your camera and is faster.

Just to confirm: the ELPH 330 HS is a nine year-old camera.  Is that really the model you are looking at?  If so, that pre-dates in-body charging and you need to charge it by the included battery charger, you should check the manual HERE 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

First, your second question.   To download photos you do not need to use the Canon utility.  You can either plug it into the computer direct as you described, or remove the SD card and plug that in directly - which saves battery drain on your camera and is faster.

Just to confirm: the ELPH 330 HS is a nine year-old camera.  Is that really the model you are looking at?  If so, that pre-dates in-body charging and you need to charge it by the included battery charger, you should check the manual HERE 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for the information, it's most helpful! Regrettably, my budget limits me to nothing over $150 at this point; I just finished purchasing an El Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 N Enlarger Lens, helicoid ext. tubes, and adapters for a reversed-lens setup. Maybe it's better if I focus more on using my old Rebel T1i, though I do like the simplicity of the WB35F (I just wish it had a more high-quality sensor).

I do love how the WB35F has a built-in Photo Editor to streamline the post-production processing; not sure if there's another line of compact cameras out there with that feature.

Announcements