cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX740 HS How to Get Good Photos in Dim Light

riverposie
Apprentice

When taking photos of people in our church, the camera captures the light from the windows and the photo becomes bad. the light in the church is dimly lit..is there a setting that will correct this and give an even photo of the people. i have been using the auto setting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah, the exposure is pretty good, but I see now what you're dealing with.

In these situations, it would be best to move around the subjects such that you remove the strong backlighting.   e.g. in this particular image, could the subjects have stepped a bit to camera left (their right).  And then you would position yourself more to the right.  i.e. the background now is the area where the coats are hanging.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Best to post an example, but imagine what is happening is that the camera (since it's in auto mode) is seeing the large amount of light from the outdoors and exposing for that.  Which leads to the interior areas being underexposed.

Look into exposure compensation which would let you adjust up/down to get a proper exposure for the interior of the church.

You may need to use Av, Tv or P modes to enable exposure compensation.

See page 52 of the User Manual for details.

--
Ricky

20221204112104_IMG_5721~2.jpg

Ah, the exposure is pretty good, but I see now what you're dealing with.

In these situations, it would be best to move around the subjects such that you remove the strong backlighting.   e.g. in this particular image, could the subjects have stepped a bit to camera left (their right).  And then you would position yourself more to the right.  i.e. the background now is the area where the coats are hanging.

--
Ricky

riverposie
Apprentice

thanks so much..greatly appreciated

Announcements