cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX260 issue with Digipower batteries

rcguy
Contributor

Please help!

I have an SX260 which I bought at Best Buy.  When I bought it in 2012, I bought 2 extra batteries.  They happen to be Digipower because that's all Best Buy sold.  So, the first time I used the back-up batteries, they stopped working after a few seconds.  Now, fast forward to the present.

The original Canon battery will last for (3) 4GB videos.  I got a Canon battery on ebay last week and it will last for (2) 4GB videos.

The Digipower batteries still last only a few seconds.  I decided to check the voltage, and all the batteries are at 4 volts. Once the camera shuts down with the Digipower batteries, I check the voltage and they still about 3.86 volts.  I use the same Canon battery charger to charge all the batteries.  So, why do the Digipowers hold their charge same as the Canon batteries yet shut the camera off after only a few seconds?  Could it be that I need a Digipower charger to charge the Digipower batteries?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your meter does not load the batteries enough to check the actual state of charge.

John_
Authority

In all probability, those batteries have lost their ability to hold the charge anymore. They may measure a good voltage but the capacity to deliver current is gone. Capacity is more than voltage, it is also MAH or milliamps per hour. Your MAH is shot on those old batteries which is common.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the batteries are old.  The thing is, I tried a new Digipower battery from Best Buy, and it would only make (2) 4GB files whereas my old original Canon battery still makes (3) 4GB files.  So I took the battery back.  Those old Digipower batteries NEVER worked. I could never use them.  They're no worse now than they were seven years ago when I bought them.  I was never able to use them.  The problem with batteries is that the store doesn't want to take them back.  I'm thinking there's more to batteries and chargers.  After I posted, I tried an expiriment, for what it's worth.  I connected each battery to a 12v car turn signal lamp to see if the batteries actually had any power.  They both turned the filiment orange and were still going strong after several minutes.  After, they still had more than 3.7v.  So, what would be a good way to load a battery to check it out?  Could I test it in the store before I take it home?

Thanks all.

Those 12 V bulbs might be too large of a load.

Did you check the voltage while the filaments were attached?

I didn't check.  I did the test mainly to see if the batteries had any power as opposed to being flat like an old worn out battery.  

i would have been more scientific, but I don't know what I'm shooting for i.e. I know not the voltage across the terminals when the camera is operating.  I'm thinking it draws less current than the 12v. bulb.  I may be wrong.  My gut feeling is that the battery has the power but for some reason won't run the camera.  The batteries will burn the bulb far longer than they will run the camera.  I just wanna know WHY.  BTW - I contacted Digipower today about it and am waiting to hear from them...

You would not be able to test it in the store other than to bring your camera there and use it as the tester but first, you would have to charge the battery fully...so not so practical To test it outside the camera you would have to know the load of the camera or calculate it. Then place that load across the battery terminals while you monitor the current, the voltage and time. Still, you would only get a guesstimate of the capacity in MAH because the load from the camera varies and your setup would not, it would be a constant load. Stores, other than those with a liberal return policy like Amazon, do not want to take returns on batteries in many cases. To be thorough you would also have to do something similar to test your charger, monitor the charging voltage and current draw of the battery till it reaches full charge. Batteries can explode, chargers can overheat and catch fire so I would not go those routes.

I would just get a new Canon battery either the 6L or 6LH which is stronger but costs more and go from there. Third party batteries are usually not manufactured as well as the Canon ones are but I've used them in older Canon cameras and was satisfied. That is why they are less expensive but you need more of them to provide the shooting time.

Yes, not practical to do at home.  And still, it wouldn't solve the poor battery problem - I guess it would just verify it.  I got a plug in adapter off ebay to use when I'm near an outlet.  It's from China.  I haven't used it yet, I'm a little concerned it might cook my camera.  I would really like an auxiliary big rechargable power supply like the one that came with my cell phone.  There are some interesting hacks on Youtube.  Again, I'm afraid of cooking my camera.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rcguy wrote:

Please help!

I have an SX260 which I bought at Best Buy.  When I bought it in 2012, I bought 2 extra batteries.

Could it be that I need a Digipower charger to charge the Digipower batteries?

Thanks!

DigiPoser is not a good brand.  Batteries typically have a shelf life of a few years.  But, you say you b ought new ones, and they are not as good as the Canon battery.   Chalk it up to experience.  Scratch DigiPower off the list of brands to trust.  Stick with the genuine Canon batteries.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I see your point.  I'm wondering if there is a good battery brand.  Wondering too why Best Buy only sells Digipower.

Announcements