cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX160 IS not shooting photos

dfherrero
Apprentice

I'm new to this forum and I apologize if this has been answered before; I tried searching and didn't get an answer.

I'm having trouble with my Canon Powershot SX160 IS. The camera will not shoot when the shutter button is pressed in any mode, lighting setting, focus setting, and after replacing both the cell battery and the AA batteries. The SanDisk memory card I have in it has plenty of free space so that's not the issue either.

I've had the camera for over 3 years, bought it new, and it has had very little use because it's mainly kept by my parents who now use their smartphones to take most pictures. It hasn't been dropped before and there's no physical (dust, water, etc.) damage from what I can see. The only thing I can think of is that the camera has lived in tropical weather for most of it's life and the high humidity levels could have affected it somehow.

In Auto Mode the camera will automatically focus on objects and will display a clear image but when the shutter button is pressed half way there's no beep sound like it used to make in the past and when the button is pressed completely no photo is taken. Because of the lack of any sound or feedback from the device other than not taking photos, this problem as become very infuriating. I've tried resetting all settings to defaults to no avail. Also, the camera takes videos in HD fine!

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

Tim
Authority

Hello dfherrero, 

I'm sorry that your camera doesn't seem to be able to take pictures any longer.  Your camera may need to be evaluated at a service center to resolve this issue.  

We recommend setting up service through the web site below or click here.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements