cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SD700is memory card failure to load

hrensin
Apprentice

Hi,

I have an old PowerShot SD 700is and just bought a 64Gig card for it. The card works fine in my PC but the camera keeps reporting that there is a memory card error and the Format function is greyed out. I have tried formatting it via my PC using a variety of different formats but nothing works. I know the card is ok as I have tried it out on my PC transferring files back and forth. Is there a memory card size limit that the camera will accept or some other reason the camera will not accept the card and allow me to format it in the camera? All suggestions welcome.

9 REPLIES 9

hrensin
Apprentice

Follow up to above. I tried a smaller card (16Gigd) and got all the same error messages. It appears this is a failure of the camera to read the card. I tried a reset and it made no difference. Does anyone know if there is a customer repairable fix for this problem or what the problem is?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

You could check carefully that there is no material in, or damage to the memory card slot.   Do you still have the original memory card you got with the camera?  If so, try using that and see if it works.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor,

I did a close visual inspection (as close as you can looking down that narrow slot) and saw nothing out of the ordinary; no broken or twisted pins. I took a very small and fine wire brush and worked it slowly up and down the slot and then tried to card and got the same result as before.

To be honest, given your camera is old, it is likely that something inside the camera's electronics has given up.  It is way past the date when Canon or anyone else is likely to be able to provide the parts to fix this.  Perhaps it's time to look at a replacement.  Technology has come a long way in the intervening decade and you camera has likely given good service over that time.  I would recommend looking for another camera that meets you needs in the current line-up of gear.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

hrensin
Apprentice

Sadly, I think you are right. Thanks for the time on this problem. The more I play with this camera, the more convinced I am that it's in the electronics and that is not a fixable problem.

Howard

Be sure to only use full size SD cards. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A 16GB card may be too large.  You need an SD card, not SDHC or SDXC.

I wondered about that and looked up the user manual, and then the specs for the cards. I also asked the OP if they could use their original 16MB card but got no response on that.  It appeared that the 16GB card was backwardly compatible in a physical sense and the file format should be able to read the cards, so it is a puzzle.

From my own experience, I have used 16GB CF cards on my EOS D30, D60 and PowerShot G1, all much older than this camera by a considerable margin.  Similary, my G7 and EOS 400, 500 and 600D cameras, again all older, could use cards of 32GB without an issue.

cheers, TREVOR

I agree.  A quality card should enter a degraded mode.

49405C89-4B30-472E-8E21-3FBB5B370B17.jpeg

Announcements