cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot G16 internal backup battery replacement

Juan1974
Apprentice

After 7 years of use my G16 started asking for the date/time settings each time when I power it up. I suspect it must have an internal backup battery which is depleted but cannot find any instructions on the battery replacement. Any ideas how to solve this issue? Much appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Looks like it is a rechargeable battery/super-cap that is not user replaceable:

Untitled.jpg

Thank you for the feedback, very helpful. I will visit my nearest Canon service center and hope they have a permanent solution to the problem.

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. Did the Canon service center help you out with this problem? Do you think that replacing the battery will solve this issue?

normadel
Authority
Authority

Sigh. Doesn't anyone read manuals? It points out that the G16 has an internal built-in date/time battery (maybe just a capacitor) that is charged from the main battery. When it wears out you have to set the clock every time you turn on the camera. The "permanent" solution would be for Canon to replace the built-in (not user-replaceable) date/time battery.  If they can/will do it on this ten-year-old model, that is. And the cost may shock you.

Announcements