cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory card error

EstherAdler
Apprentice

I have a Canon G7X Mark ii camera and I suddenly got a memory card error.

I can't view that specific card on my camera now, and on the computer only some photos and videos showed up.

The next time I tried it wouldn't even show up as connecting to the computer.

What can I do to restore my pictures and videos.

The camera seems to be fine as it works with other sd cards

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@EstherAdler wrote:

I have a Canon G7X Mark ii camera and I suddenly got a memory card error.

I can't view that specific card on my camera now, and on the computer only some photos and videos showed up.

The next time I tried it wouldn't even show up as connecting to the computer.

What can I do to restore my pictures and videos.

The camera seems to be fine as it works with other sd cards

What brand of card is it?  What memory capacity does it have?  Is it a micro-SD memory card that needs a plastic adapter?

Most major memory card manufacturers seem to have free recovery software that you can try.  I would not put the card into the camera again, because the camera tries to initialize the card for use, which can erase your “lost” files. 

—————————————-

Here is some memory card advice.  

There are counterfeit cards out there labeled as major name brands. Always buy your memory cards from a reputable dealer, which should rule out Amazon and eBay.  Those sites are where most of the counterfeit cards can be found, or had.  I only buy cards online from B&H, or at a Best Buy store if I am out and about and want a spare card NOW.

Always buy full size cards, never the micro-SD cards with adapters. The plastic adapters are notoriously unreliable.  Always buy major name brands.  I stick to Lexar and Sandisk exclusively.  My card of choice is the Sandisk Extreme 32/64 GB UHS-I Class 10 memory card.

You must always format a new SD card in the camera where it will be used.  Be sure to enable the “low level format” option.  It may seem that SD cards are come already formatted, but they are not.  What seems to be formatting is really residue from production testing, which needs to be completely wiped clean.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements