cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G9X Firmware Update to include Clean HDMI Output?

ButterXLCreativ
Apprentice

Does anyone have info on whether or not there will be a firmware update for the G9X to include clean HDMI output?

Consumers are pretty much not privy to developmental roadmaps so usually either someone at the company can confirm or we look at rumors/announcements... but this isn't a "sexy" model so doesn't get much attention. I guess we're just hoping to get any attention we can and have this be pushed to the right person/team to at least add to the to-do list right?

Technically, it has the hardware (hdmi out port), it's capable of transmitting video and audio (currently only in playback mode), and it's also capable of connecting wirelessly to the app with a live feed. Even if there are hardware limitations in terms of performance, it's perfectly capable of transmitting video through HDMI? Seems like a matter of having adding the capability in the firmware to have a clean hdmi signal out when in movie mode?

I guess I would like to hear from Canon if a) the unit itself is not technically capable - they have looked into it but the hardware will not be able to support this feature in a stable manner, b) it's in the roadmap but not high priority so may take really long for it to happen, or c) it's not a popular enough model for this to be on the roadmap at all. I understand if putting any resources to this doesn't make business sense... it'd just be nice to have the information.

Thanks in advance to anyone helping to bump this or have any info to share on this topic.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do not get your hopes up too high. You are talking about a model that is several years old and has been superseded by a newer model, G9X Mark II, which does not support Clean HDMI.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cameras/eos-webcam-utility

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Clean HDMI”. Select “PowerShot Cameras”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ButterXLCreativ
Apprentice

Yea, my hopes are definitely not high. haha I checked the webcam utility list, that's why I asked. Just one of those things where I'm not familiar with how much they update firmware in general, and just a shame that it's a perfectly capable unit but will forever be sitting on the sidelines.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements