cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7 X battery life

Croderique
Apprentice

I just purchased a PowerShot G7 X, my first Canon product after being a Nikon DSLR and Sony Point & Shoot user. My first outing I only got 1min 58seconds video, 6 jpg and 109 Raw pics before the fully charged battery exhausted.  I talked to support and they said that is about right. That is horrible battery life. Any suggesions out there? No video or jpg only? or just return it and buy another Sony? 

Thanks

Chuck

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

First outings tend to use more battery life than once you get used to the camera, but that sure does sound way too low. Are you doing a lot of zooming, and playbacks? I had to set my playback review times down to 2 seconds when I got my G12, and that helped a little. But I did notice that I was also checking my menus a lot in the beginning, so now that I'm more familiar with them, I don't need to do that as much since I set shortcuts for the most used menu items.

Also keeping the LCD display on full brightness killed my battery life, so I lowered that to about 3/4 power. How about flash? Are you using that a lot or not much at all? Long exposure photography uses a lot of power too. Either way, DSLR's seem to have wonderful battery life because their batteries have higher mA-hour ratings than most compact cameras. Make sure the battery has the correct rating. The Battery Pack should be the NB-13L.

Unfortunately the specifications for this camera is only Approx. 210 shots, Approx. 310 shots with ECO Mode. So I would have to say short of getting a spare battery, you might want to talk to the retailer where you got this from about another solution.

Steve M.

Croderique
Apprentice
Thanks. I'm testing now, only shots no review. Next I'll try ECO mode. No spare batteries here in Anchorage. Anywhere.
Chuck

I turned off everything that I could and shot on motordrive and it seems to be acceptable. I will keep experimenting with ECO mode, etc. Thanks.

Chuck

ECO mode helped, as did turning it off between multiple shots. I bought 2 additional batteries which should alieve any issues.

Thanks

Chuck

Announcements