cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest Memory card for Powershot SX150 IS

PJPunkin
Apprentice

Hi,

Just wondering what's the fastest memory card I can use in my Powershot SX150 IS?  Looking at this: 
Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS16GSDHC10E)

SDHC Class 10 Ultra High Speed Memory Card   

Would the High Speed card fit my camera?

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's a nice tool but like many "ads" it isn't quite truthful. For example look at the information provided for this card

http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductPage.aspx?ID=3636

They push how fast you can READ it but not how fast the camera can WRITE to it, which is the important spec. I can't find that info at THEIR page so how do I know if it's the right card? (Very important note I have mainly Sandisk cards but I chose them based on the WRITE speed & not the READ speed).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

You're manual will tell you what kind of card is recommended and that is based on how fast it can WRITE to the card. Using a card with a faster WRITE speed won't improve performance. READ speed applies when using a card reader to copy from the card to a computer & isn't the important spec. There are a lot of cards that meet the Class 10 designation but they have varying WRITE SPEEDS & the faster the card can be written to the more expensive it is (usually based on my shopping experiences).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

GaryS
Enthusiast

Check out the Sandisk Compatibility Tool here.

That's a nice tool but like many "ads" it isn't quite truthful. For example look at the information provided for this card

http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductPage.aspx?ID=3636

They push how fast you can READ it but not how fast the camera can WRITE to it, which is the important spec. I can't find that info at THEIR page so how do I know if it's the right card? (Very important note I have mainly Sandisk cards but I chose them based on the WRITE speed & not the READ speed).

Hi Cicopo,

Thanks for the info. I can use SDHC or SDXC in my camera. Guess I'm going to go with this:

SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-016G-AFFP.

I appreciate the info on read/write capacity. I knew I wanted a faster card but hadn't read about it before.

PJP

That's a very fast card & in fact I have one of those plus 3 of the 32 gig versions.

That's a very fast card & in fact I have one of those plus 3 of the 32 gig versions.

Glad I made a good choice!

PJP

Announcements