cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX50 HS viewfinder darkens when outside

2tango2
Apprentice

I recently purchased a refurbished SX50 HS directly from Canon.  When using the viewfinder to take pictures outside it seems like it darkens or dims...when taking pictures inside it looks fine.

Is this normal behavior?  I'm talking about the viewfinder you press your eye to, not the LCD screen.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have it on DOF Preview.  Turn that off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

2tango2
Apprentice
Thanks for the reply....iis there a setting for DOF preview on the SX50 HS? I looked and could not find one?

I have the SX50 also, I pulled this from the manual its easier than me trying explain how to adjust the birghtness of both the viewfinder and the LCD display if I am reading your question right. Just remember to select either the LCD or the Viewfinder first using the DISP button to adjust the one you wish.

Capture.JPG

maggie52
Apprentice
I too just recently purchased a refurbished SX50 so my response is not one based on complete familiarity with the camera. However, ...

If there is a DOF preview setting on the SX50 I am completely unaware of its existence and cannot find any reference to the feature in either the menus or the owners manual. Since you've made it clear the issue is with the viewfinder (the piece you press to your eye), the response regarding the LCD doesn't seem to provide any assistance.

In my short experience with the SX50 I have not perceived any change in the EVF's brightness/contrast when shooting in bright light or indoors. It might, though, change somewhat with the angle of the EVF's screen to your eye. Just as you would see if you altered your position to a LCD television, the amount of light hitting your eye will change as your eye moves further off axis. That's not a very good answer I understand since we would assume you are placing the EVF in the same position whether you are indoors or not. That is, though, my best explanation at this time.

I have noticed the LCD and, I believe, the EVF will change as exposure compensation is adjusted. Is it possible you are adjusting the EC for the brighter light found outdoors? What shooting mode are you working in?

I suspect you'll have more responses and maybe find a better answer. If not, contact Canon with your question. One reason I've stayed with the brand over several decades is their consistently good customer service.

Good luck.
Announcements