cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Lens Replacement

karlloechelt
Apprentice

Hello,

A few months back, I had dropped my PowerShot SX620 HS in some sand, and a bunch got inside of the lens assembly. I am planning on taking apart the camera for a school project. Is there a possible way I could just buy the lens assembly separately so I could replace it myself? Or should I just plan to take the lens apart all the way and reassemble it?

Thanks,

Karl Loechelt

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@karlloechelt wrote:

Hello,

A few months back, I had dropped my PowerShot SX620 HS in some sand, and a bunch got inside of the lens assembly. I am planning on taking apart the camera for a school project. Is there a possible way I could just buy the lens assembly separately so I could replace it myself? Or should I just plan to take the lens apart all the way and reassemble it?

Thanks,

Karl Loechelt

Hi Karl and welcome to the forum.

Getting parts for these units is likely to cost as much as a new unit.  You could try getting another unit and cannibalizing the parts.  Be aware that disasembling a lens is not recommended - the elements are aligned using highly sophisticated tools to make sure they deliver the best image.  Especially on a smaller unit, it is going to be a big challenge to rebuild your lens and have decent result.  Still, if the unit is a write-off already, it could be an interesting exercise.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Repair is not cost effective. Buy another camera.

The lens assembly on those small point and shoot camera bodies tend to be assembled like a Gordian Knot, and can fall completely apart once you remove that one critical component. You need 8 hands to reassemble it.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements