cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G7x Mark ii sitdown/tutorial settings. NOT vlogging - tech support

Angelabilly
Apprentice

Hey!

I have the Canon G7x ii and love it for vlogging! However, whenever I do sit down videos, the quality sucks.. The image is not sharp at all.

When I edit the video on my Retina display I get so bothered by the low quality.

I am filming in video mode for sitdowns. I researched sooo many times, but all I can find are the settings for vlogging (as this is marketed as THE vlogging camera).

Can anyone help me with the settings for sitdown and tutorial videos? The camera won't be moving - only filming me on a tripod. I do have studio lights which I bought but they also don't make a difference..

Thank you guys!

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The camera is capable of Full HD 1080p60 video.  One frame of video is roughy equivalent to a 2MP sill image.  

How are you focusing the camera?  Is the camera refocusing itself during the video shooting sessions?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am using autofocus (face finder). 

The image is very grainy!!

I tried filming at 25 fps with 1/50. ISO at 200 with studio lights. App. at around 2. Then I tried playing around with higher fps, lower, higher ISO, lower,... But nothing seemed to give it a crisp, sharp look. It was always grainy.

I don't know what I am doing wrong and why my video looks soo grainy?! 

@Angelabilly wrote:

I am using autofocus (face finder). 

The image is very grainy!!

I tried filming at 25 fps with 1/50. ISO at 200 with studio lights. App. at around 2. Then I tried playing around with higher fps, lower, higher ISO, lower,... But nothing seemed to give it a crisp, sharp look. It was always grainy.

I don't know what I am doing wrong and why my video looks soo grainy?! 

I don't have any idea, either.  You have not posted any samples or examples.  What application are you using to view the video files?

Like I said above, Full HD is not a high resolution format.  Most of the detail that the brain sees comes in the form of the range of colors.  The brain fills in th blanks when you look at a full screen image.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If you have good, consistent lighting you might want to consider switching over to manual focusing. And it may be worth spending some "quality time" with the full user's manual (if you haven't already) and experimenting with manual metering as well. It's no more difficult than working with manual exposure for still shooting.

I wouldn't expect a higher fps setting to provide much improvement. More light seems to help videos as much as anything. Keep your aperture stopped down a bit to increase depth-of-field and you could probably increase the ISO somewhat without degrading your image quality. In this regard, video seems to be more forgiving than shooting still images.

Posting a link to a sample of the video in question will also get you a better response to your questions. And don't spend too much time "pixel peeping" your reults or you'll never be satisfied. Smiley Wink

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you filling the screen with the image? You are probably viewing at more than 100%

Try editing at 100%

Announcements