cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera to wi fi printer

jackman
Contributor

I have a new Power Shot SX530 HS and trying to get setup with my HP 7640 Envy printer via wi fi.  I have tried to setup the printer as a new device and had no luck.  I pick Print from wi fi printer, Add Device, Search for Acess Point and I get  a message showing my network and it then says Search for Device and eventually it says Device Not Found.  Am I missing something?  I can get  connected with my tablets and smartphone with no problem.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you attempting to print directly from the camera to the printer via Wi-Fi?  I don't think it works that way.  You should transfer your images to a tablet, or PC, that is already setup and configured to use your printer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The newer camera's are Wi-Fi enabled and you can print directly to a Wi-Fi enabled printer. You can use Wi-Fi to transfer photos from the camera to smartphones and tablets, all according to the instructions. I know it works with the phone and tablets.

I stand corrected and can't take Canon's word literally. The manual merely says Print Wireless and steps you through the process to get the printer and camera working together. Does not mention that it is a "special" PictBridge enabled printer. You read the instructions and it reads like any Wi-Fi printer. I've had this problem with Canon instructions before and they aren't gotten any better. Sorry.

@jackman wrote:
The newer camera's are Wi-Fi enabled and you can print directly to a Wi-Fi enabled printer. You can use Wi-Fi to transfer photos from the camera to smartphones and tablets, all according to the instructions. I know it works with the phone and tablets.

That is not true.  You cannot print directly to any Wi-Fi enabled printer.

Rebel_T6i_WirelessCompatibility.PNG

Only certain wireless printers, just some of those made by Canon, are able to use the direct wireless connection.  This allows you to print pictures without having to setup a wireless access point, and connecting to a PC.  I should point out that image files printed in this manner are NOT able to be edited before being printed, which can be a disadvantage.

Ordinarily, you would download your image files from the camera to a PC, and then print your pictures from your PC to your printer.

Are both your camera and printer "PictBridge" enabled?  They would need to be in order to print directly from camera to printer.

Not a PictBridge printer.

@jackman wrote:
Not a PictBridge printer.

... from HP ENVY 7640 literature.  You should be able to print from the majority of mobile devices currently on the market.

Mobile Printing FeaturesWi-Fi Direct, HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint
Compatible with Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows 8, Windows RT

I suspect that "Wi-Fi Direct" could mean AirPrint, or it could mean just about anything, really.  I see HP has their own proprietary "ePrint" technology, too.  Lots of manufacturers do that to lock you in to their products.

Oh yes! Found that out. I'll keep working on it and again really appreciate your input!

I know now that when they are talking about a wireless printer, it those only by Canon. Not familiar with HP if it has PictBridge. My problem is that they should say this in their documentation. Probably not many PictBridge out there. Thanks for all of your help!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements