cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Not Recognized on Windows 10 Pro N

mula
Contributor

I have two PowerShot cameras and both are not being recognized by Windows. When I got to device manager I see a message that says something like "The driver for this device was not installed (Code 28)". I translated this so the message might be slightly different in English. I have Windows 10 Pro N so I installed the Media Feature Pack from the link below. However, it still doesn´t recognize the cameras. Any input on how to resolve this issue is appreciated.

 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

 

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend

@mula wrote:

I have two PowerShot cameras and both are not being recognized by Windows. When I got to device manager I see a message that says something like "The driver for this device was not installed (Code 28)". I translated this so the message might be slightly different in English. I have Windows 10 Pro N so I installed the Media Feature Pack from the link below. However, it still doesn´t recognize the cameras. Any input on how to resolve this issue is appreciated.

 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

 

 


What is the error message, if any, that you are getting now?  It does not seem like your cable is the issue, so let's assume that it is good for now..

 

There are multiple versions of the Media Feature Pack.  It doesn't look like installing the latest release is always the proper version to install.

 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3145500/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions 

 

Use the above link to match up the Major Build number of your version of Windows 10 with the correct version of the Media Feature pack.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JTBurton1
Apprentice

Hi, sorry you are having trouble.. I recently attempted to use my PowerShotsx730HS to hook up to WIndows 10 (but only 10,  not Pro.) I find Canon is extremely knowledgable in videos and on the phone. I came very close to a Bluetooh and wi-fi link to the camera, but to speed things up: I used a UBS cable to the PC. It worked like a dream. And it was far more complicated because I needed to converted the pics to Android for format..my mission was accomplished this morning. I'd tell you everything I did, but best left to a Canon expert!.Don't give up unless Canon really says it definitely won't work. I am new to Windows, so afraid I'd mess up my new computer and let them steer me right. Thank You Canon for your excellence! Good luck! -DPB aka JTB

Waddizzle
Legend

@mula wrote:

I have two PowerShot cameras and both are not being recognized by Windows. When I got to device manager I see a message that says something like "The driver for this device was not installed (Code 28)". I translated this so the message might be slightly different in English. I have Windows 10 Pro N so I installed the Media Feature Pack from the link below. However, it still doesn´t recognize the cameras. Any input on how to resolve this issue is appreciated.

 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

 

 


What is the error message, if any, that you are getting now?  It does not seem like your cable is the issue, so let's assume that it is good for now..

 

There are multiple versions of the Media Feature Pack.  It doesn't look like installing the latest release is always the proper version to install.

 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3145500/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions 

 

Use the above link to match up the Major Build number of your version of Windows 10 with the correct version of the Media Feature pack.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, you are my hero. I spent hours on that thing but it turns out I installed the wrong media pack. For anybody else with the same issue, press the Windows + i key. This pulls up the settings page (Einstellungen). Then click on System (System) and on the left side on About (Info). After this you will see the version (1703 in my case) and major build (Betriebssystembuild) which in my case was 15063.1418. Just use the number on the left side of the dot. Then download the appropriate version from the link Waddizzle provided. If you have installed a previous version you will have to uninstall that first and reboot your computer. After the correct one was installed you also have to reboot your computer.

 

PS: How do all the other people with Windows 10 N do this? This seems way too complicated, unless you have somebody like Waddizzle telling you about this page...

Wadizzle...  He's a Pro!!

 

BTW, start menu > type "winver" and press enter gets you the version and build number of windows a lot faster.  Man LOL

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2(v1.1.1) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra ~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~Pixel6 ~R5C On Order


@shadowsports wrote:

Wadizzle...  He's a Pro!!

 

BTW, start menu > type "winver" and press enter gets you the version and build number of windows a lot faster.  Man LOL


Actually, I am!  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Windows N is usually only used in Europe. In all my years at Canon (over 10), I've honestly never seen this problem, so I'd like to think this is a European issue that would be solved with the software that comes with the cameras, and is installed when you tell the installer you're in Europe, but that's just a stab in the dark. 🤷‍♂️


@Stephen wrote:

Windows N is usually only used in Europe. In all my years at Canon (over 10), I've honestly never seen this problem, so I'd like to think this is a European issue that would be solved with the software that comes with the cameras, and is installed when you tell the installer you're in Europe, but that's just a stab in the dark. 🤷‍♂️


I have been around the block a few times when it comes to MS Windows.

 

29667847-14F5-4CBC-8F6A-54ADF6B7E70B.jpeg

 

After 6 years of participation, I retired from the MVP program a few years ago.  There is less than 1000 MS MVPs worldwide.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements