cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless scan with MF212w stopped working

Gut3nberg
Apprentice

Hello,

I noticed that this is not an uncommon issue across Canon multifunction printers, but I can't seem to find a viable fix for my case. I have had the MF212w for almost 2 years and it's always been used wirelessly. Printing and scanning have always worked flawlessly until yesterday (when I did NOT install any new system update or software or anything).

When I try to scan with MF toolbox - the model is not compatible with Canon MF Scan utility - I get this error message:

"Cannot communicate with the scanner. The cable may be disconnected, or the scanner may be turned off.

Check the scanner status and try again. Scanner driver will be terminated.

Error code: 600104

I'm on Mac OS 10.13.6, MF toolbox is 2.15.1 and Canon driver is 10.11.3.

Any chance you can help! Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Darius
Whiz

Hi Gut3nberg.

If the printer stopped responding over the network, try opening the remote UI

If the Remote UI does not open, then the router isn't allowing the printer and computer to communicate.  If your network supports 5G, try switching the computer to the standard 2.4 GHz connection.  If your router supports a guest connection, try disabling it and then ensuring the printer and computer are both connected to the correct network name.

If the Remote UI comes up, then try disabling your firewall and antivirus before printing or scanning.  If that works, then refer to the antivirus or firewall's directions for adding exceptions, to allow the printer and the MF Toolbox to communicate.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Darius.

The Remote UI shows up, so I can communicate with the printer. In fact, printing has never been the issue, it's the scanner that doesn't work and gives me that error message any time I try to use it.

I don't have any firewall activated.

Hello Gut3nberg.

If the printer is otherwise functioning, you may still wish to check the antivirus.  Scanning requires more information to be transmitted between the printer and computer than printing, and may get side-lined or cut off mid-scan by security settings.

Another point of interest is the printer's connection strength.  If it's listed as bad, then something new in the area is interfering with or obstructing the signal between the printer and router (unshielded electrical devices, wiring problems inside the walls, new cell phone towers outside, etc.).  Try moving the printer closer to the router (no closer than ~ 2 ft).

If all of the above is not at issue, try dragging the MF Toolbox folder (from Applications > Canon Utilities) to the trash, then re-running the installation.

I don't have any antivirus. After deleting all the existing software and drives, I connected the printer via USB, then re-installed the latest version of the software/drivers.

It now works wirelessly again, but sometimes I still get the occasional connection error. I have to turn the printer off and then on again.

Announcements