cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF455dw - Firmware Communications Error

cserrnica
Contributor

Someone posted the same problem a little while back, and I'm having it too. When I attempt a firmware update from the front panel, it says "A communication error occurred. Cannot check the firmware version."

I was able to update the firmware through my computer -- I had to dig deep in my spare parts box for an appropriate USB cable --  but I'd rather not have to do that every time since the computer is a desktop machine that lives upstairs and this printer is a rather bulky beast that lives downstairs.

I don't remember making any relevant changes to my router's settings, but maybe I did and forgot?

My current firmware versions after the update:

• Main Controller: 9.06
  • Boot ROM: 2.01
  • DCON 4.01
  • Language: 1.28
5 REPLIES 5

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Cserrnica,

The issue you are describing would point to a network communication issue. We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate resolution, you can contact support at 1-800-652-2666, our agents would be happy to help.

1. Is the printer connected to your network via wifi or is it via ethernet?
  2. Are you able to check for firmware updates from the panel now that the printer was updated?

cserrnica
Contributor

1. It's connected via wifi. There are issues with printing to this printer from Android devices, but not from Windows.

2. No, I'm not.

Hello Cserrnica,

If you are unable to check or update the firmware via Wi-Fi and get a communication error, it would point to a weak connection or drop in network communication. If connected via wifi, I would suggest moving the printer closer to the router to get a better signal or you can try unplugging the router for 5 seconds and then trying the firmware update again once the network is back up.

I attempted the same after moving the printer to within 3 feet of the router. Still no good. This necessarily was immediately following a reboot of the printer since I had to unplug it to move it.

Hello Cserrnica,

If you have already power cycled the router and improved the signal strength, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at this point to see what might be causing the issue with the firmware update. Our agents would be happy to check the printer's network connection to see what might be causing the issue.

Announcements