cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS D1120 Windows 8.1 driver issues and MF Toolbox problems

merliner
Apprentice

I'm having some real problems getting several imageCLASS series multifunction units to work in the windows 8.1 x64 environment.  most recently, I've been working with a D1120, and I can't get it to do any more than print reliably - no scan functionality at all.  I realize there are two issues here, so I'll try to break them apart as best as possible.  For reference purposes, i'm running windows 8.1 on a 64-bit system.  I was able to download the correct drivers and program from the canon website, and extracted them with no issue.

On the driver problem, I tried using the instructions found in this link, but windows went ahead and installed the 2009 series drivers regardless.  It's connecting via USB, and doesn't give me any option to update the drivers once "installed".

On the MF Toolbox problem, I've gotten it to do one one scan job, and then it starts throwing a variety of error messages at me.  First, it will say there is a data transfer error.  Then it will say there are no documents in the queue.  Then it will simply lock up and not start the scan job at all.  I tried using the instructions in this link, but didn't get anywhere.  

Any way you can help on one or both of these issues?  I have a feeling they are related somehow...

Z

2 REPLIES 2

Patrice
Whiz

Hi merliner.

I will be glad to assist you.

The drivers may not be installed correctly because the Windows operating system is automatically installing the driver.  First, we will need to disconnect the printer from the computer and uninstall the drivers.  Since the drivers are being installed by the Windows system, I recommend uninstalling the drivers from the 'Print Server Properties' window.  Please follow the instructions below:

1.  Open the [Devices and Printers] window.

2.  Left-click, one time, on the Microsoft XPS Document Writer or the Send To One Note devices.

3.  Click Print Server Properties in the Menu Bar.  (You will see "Add a device", "Add a printer", "See what's printing" and "Print server properties".)

4.  Click on the [Drivers] tab.

5.  Select the Canon drivers, then click [Remove].

6.  Select "Remove Driver and Driver Package".

7.  Click "OK".  (You may receive a message stating that the Package could not be removed.  This is fine.  As long as the driver is deleted from the list, you can continue.)

Once the drivers are deleted, restart the computer.  After the computer restarts, and leaving the USB cable disconnected, please follow the instructions below to install the drivers that you downloaded from the Canon USA website:

The file that you download from the Canon website is .ZIP file.  When you select [RUN], it unpacks the setup folder. 

1.  Please open your [Downloads] folder.

2.  You will see two icons with the name: D1170_1150_1120_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN.exe . Double-click on the yellow folder icon with this name.

3.  In the folder you will see two listings for [Setup].  Double-click on the [Setup] that has the type as [Application].

4.  The "MF Drivers Setup Wizard" will open.  Proceed through the steps and restart the computer.

After restarting the computer, connect the USB cable and allow the installation to complete.  Finally, scan a document by following the instructions below:

1.  Verify that MF Toolbox is closed on the computer and press the [SCAN] button on the printer.

2.  The screen will show, "Scanning mode...".

3.  On the computer, open the MF Toolbox and select [PDF].

4.  Click the green [START] button on the [PDF] window.  The machine will start processing the scan.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The solution you proposed worked for a while, but I'm now getting a new version of the same error.  Please note that I reinstalled the driver according to the previously stated method, and initiate scanning in the method proscribed.   Multiple

MF Toolbox now opens and runs without locking up.it iwll not connect with the scanner, though, and now gives the error as follows:

"Scanning will be performed from the feeder because the scanner is in Sleep mode.

To scan from the platen glass, click [Cancel], cancel the sleep mode on the scanner, and then try to scan again."

The scanner, I should note, is fully awake and able to print documents.  When I first tried hitting "OK", it simply gave a transient Data Error whose content I unfortunately did not save.  I tried again, though, and it will now only scan from the platen glass, even though it states it will not do exactly that.  I've opened the Scanner Driver to try to get better control of that, but it gives no option to change to anything but the Platen Glass, and gives only a data error when I try to scan.

When I am able to scan, it shows the source select as "Auto Mode", the input method as "1-sided".  If I try to force it to scan from the feeder, it will not work.

Hardware details remain the same, Windows 8.1 laptop.  Driver version is 11.3.0.0, Date of 11/08/2009 Provided by Canon.  The Digital Signer is "Microsoft Windows Hardwate Compatibility Publisher".

Any thoughts on this new-old problem?  Or will I need to call in to customer service?

Announcements