cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacOS Mojave MF Scan Utility Not Working With ImageClass MF642Cdw

brg810
Contributor

I have a MacBook Pro running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. I also just got a Canon ImageClass MF642Cdw and installed the Scanner Driver and MF Scan v2.15.0. I followed the video and instructions on installing the MF642Cdw on my network via WiFi.

The MF Scan Utility allows me to register the MF printer both through Bonjour and IP. However, when I try to scan using the MF Scan Gear or MacOS Preview, I get error messages and the scan never completes. When I initiate the scan, the printer receives the command to scan the document on the document feeder or platen, but the image never gets sent to my laptop. 

The errors I get are attached. 

MacOS Preview Error Message When Trying to Scan

MacOS Preview Error Message

Scanner Registered

Scanner Registered

MF Scan Utility Error

MF Scan Utility Error

I can print just fine on the Macbook. Don't have a Windows machine to test printing and scanning. I also tried allowing the Canon MF Scan Utility to my MacOS firewall, to no avail. The printer is on when I try to scan and not on standby/sleep mode. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

brg810
Contributor

I figured this out. After looking at packet captures using wireshark to see if the MacBook Pro was sending packets to the printer for the scan request, I was able to verify it wasn't a network issue. 

Looks like the issue is with the printer firmware. I went into the Remote UI on my browser, and disabled the following: 

1. Under Settings/Registration --> External Interface Settings

A. Hit Edit and set the following: 

- Use as USB Device: Off

- Use USB Storage Device: Off

B. Click the Ok button save your changes.

3. Under Store/Access Files Settings --> Memory Media Settings

- Store to Memory Media: Off

- Memory Media Printer: Off

Power off the printer by using the main power switch. Let it sit for about 30 secs or so and power it back on to apply the changes.

Seems as if the printer by default, wants to save the scanned docs locally to the local USB media (even though there isn't one plugged in) and I'm initiating the scan on my Macbook Pro. 

After the changes were applied and the printer was rebooted, I was able to scan using MF Scan Utility and MacOS Preview, though it was a bit slow. I wasn't able to reproduce this on a wired connection but I expect it to the about the same since it's not a network issue.

For reference, the printer is running the following: 

Main Controller: 01.26

Boot ROM: 01.01

DCON: 01.05

Language: 01.05

This works when the printer is registered either via Bonjour or IP. One caveat I noticed is that if you scan using MF Scan or Preview first, you won't be able to scan using the other app afterwards, without power cycling the printer. 

Canon: QA/QC testing needs improvement. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

brg810
Contributor

I figured this out. After looking at packet captures using wireshark to see if the MacBook Pro was sending packets to the printer for the scan request, I was able to verify it wasn't a network issue. 

Looks like the issue is with the printer firmware. I went into the Remote UI on my browser, and disabled the following: 

1. Under Settings/Registration --> External Interface Settings

- Use as USB Device: Off

- Use USB Storage Device: Off

3. Under Store/Access Files Settings --> Memory Media Settings

- Store to Memory Media: Off

- Memory Media Printer: Off

Power off the printer by using the main power switch. Let it sit for about 30 secs or so and power it back on to apply the changes.

Seems as if the printer by default, wants to save the scanned docs locally to the local USB media (even though there isn't one plugged in) and I'm initiating the scan on my Macbook Pro. 

After the changes were applied and the printer was rebooted, I was able to scan using MF Scan Utility and MacOS Preview, though it was a bit slow. I wasn't able to reproduce this on a wired connection but I expect it to the about the same since it's not a network issue.

For reference, the printer is running the following: 

Main Controller: 01.26

DCON: 01.05

Language: 01.05

This works when the printer is registered either via Bonjour or IP. One caveat I noticed is that if you scan using MF Scan or Preview first, you won't be able to scan using the other app afterwards, without power cycling the printer. 

Canon: QA/QC testing needs improvement. 

Managed to upgrade the firmware to the following: 

Main Controller: 03.07

DCON: 02.01

Language: 01.08

Reverted my changes and re-enabled External USB/Media storage: Scanning failed. 

Disabled USB/Media storage: Scanning works again and much faster. 

Announcements