cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFC645Cx does not print

yannick
Apprentice

I tried to setup my MFC 645Cx printer multiple times now, but whatever I do, I cannot get it to print. It worked when it was new, but stopped working after a few weeks.

The thing is that there are no errors I can see anywhere. What I did and tried so far:

-I connected the printer to my Wifi network. This usually takes a few tries, as my network is not always visible in the wifi list. I can always see lots of other networks in the list, which seems strange already. When I manage to connect once, the status of the printer indicates that everything is working.

- In this state, I can find the printer on the network using CUPS on a linux machine. On windows though, I cannot connect to the printer at all.

- When I try to print from the linux machine, the document gets into the queue and stays there forever. The printer does not do anything.

- I can also ping the printer from my pc. In that case, the packet loss is quite big though (around 10-30%) and the round trip time is around 1 second.

My network setup consists of a linksys router, running dd-wrt, sitting behind a modem/router combo from my isp. The wifi on the modem/router device is deactivated and all my devices are connected to the linksys router. I set a static ip on the router for the printer. I also tried without the static ip, but without success.

Any help would really be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings from the US,

Printers wireless support:

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
(Infrastructure mode, WPS easy Setup, Direct Connection)

What Linksys router are you using?

Single band or diual band?

DD-WRT > May or may not work in your favor.

The printer will only connect to 2.4Ghz, and I suspect "n" only supports 150/300 at best.

Static IP > Good idea 

Can you ping the printer from all devices?

If the windows PC can't ping it, it won't be able to print to it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The router is a Linksys WRT1900ACS

I used to have the same name for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz, but I changed that.

For the 2.4G Wifi I have the following settings:

Network Mode: Mixed

Channel Width: Full (Also tried Wide, which does not help)

Channel: Auto

I was able to print from my Windows computer today, so at least some progress. It seems that the wireless connection is very unstable though. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes when starting the printer to get a connection. When I try to change the network, the Wifi I want only shows up about 1 out of 3 times, and after entering the password, it almost always shows an error. When the right Wifi is visible though, it is always the one with the strongest signal. Also, all other devices that are in the same room have absolutely no problem with connecting to this Wifi. So I suspect there could be some problems with the router.

An update for the linux settings, which are now working:

I am running arch and installed the following two packages:

cnrdrvcups-lb (5.20-1)

libjbig-shared (2.1-5)

I am not sure if both, or even any of them are needed.

I then went into cups and chose the driver "Generic - IPP Everywhere Printer" and set the location to "http://IP_ADDRESS/ipp"

Announcements