cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF269dwII device not listed in setup despite being connected

metjian
Apprentice

Hello, 

Got my Canon ImageClasss MF269dwII out of the box, and connected to the home wi-fi. I see it on my Google Home app and can print from my iPhone. However, when I try to complete the setup process on my laptop running Windows 10, I am stuck as the device/printer is not listed, even when I put in the IP address as listed on my app, states that the device is not found. Any ideas? 

5 REPLIES 5

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

A few questions to start the ball rolling:

Has the 269 ever been paired with computer before? Are the drivers for the printer loaded into the computer? If the drivers are already loaded into the computer, can they be deleted and reloaded from the unit's support page?

Hey dexman335, 

Thanks for the rapid reply. 

"Has the 269 ever been paired with computer before?" - Negative, just got it out of the box today.

"Are the drivers for the printer loaded into the computer?" - Yes, they were. Of note, could not get the MFDrivers file to run, since it stated I needed to be an administrator, which I am. Even 'right-clicking' on "Run as Administrator", this wouldn't work. Got them to load when I plugged it in via USB.

"If the drivers are already loaded into the computer, can they be deleted and reloaded from the unit's support page?" Deleted them, re-downloaded. Still no go. Deleted, loaded them via the CD, still couldn't find the device even though my iPhone could print to it. Followed the directions to unplug the printer and re-connect the USB, and now the status bar is stuck and the printer will not turn on. 

So, going to return the printer at this point. Can't believe that it was this complicated to get a printer to work. I'm no IT professional, but wouldn't call myself a noob either. This was an exercise in frustration to say the least...

Thanks again for your help. Appreciate it.

Thank you for posting the final update. I wish things would have worked out. 🙂

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings .

Had I seen this earlier I might have been able to help.  Since you mentioned Google home app, I assume you have a Google mesh system?

A Google mesh system requires that you disable DHCP on the ISP issued router.  Most people are not aware of this.  If this is not done, it creates a double NAT situation.  I also recommend that you disable the wi-fi broadcast on the ISP's equipment if equipped.  The printer has a 2.4 GHz radio. The Google mesh system uses the same SSID name for both 2.4 and 5 GHz broadcasts. It's often helpful to use unique SSID names or temporarily disable the 5 gigahertz broadcast while you are making the initial connection.  These challenges are not limited to Canon and can present themselves again regardless of the brand of wireless printer you might use.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

metjian
Apprentice

Hi Rick, 

Thanks for the reply. Would have loved to get to a solution, but when it appeared to have devolved into a hardware issue, figure enough was enough. Not sure if this would add anything (or help with a future post?), but...

You're correct that we're using the Google mesh. The wi-fi from my ISP's modem/router was disabled from the outset. For what it's worth, I was able to connect the printer directly to the 5 GHz and that went fine and I could print from my iPhone.

It was first the set-up on my laptop. Not having administrator privileges has apparently been noticed by other users, which I could bypass by digging out an old CD drive and using the CD to load. After that, getting the printer to be "seen" during the set-up was the dead-stop. Oddly enough, it was seen by Windows and I could print the test-page, but the set-up wouldn't find it even via the IP address assigned to it. 

Anyways, as mentioned, returned the printer when it wouldn't even turn back on again (was right out the box), so, moot point. Thanks again.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements