cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MB2120 printer says "Sending Fax" even though there is no fax to send

davidm
Contributor

Hi everyone.  Have found no clue on the internet on this one so hoping someone has seen this story.

Lately we've been getting this message on our LCD screen saying "Sending fax".  We've never sent a fax before.

The printer won't let us power it down.  I have to pull the power cord because nothing will turn off the computer.

When the printer restarts after putting the plug back in you guessed it, the message comes up in teh LCD screen "Sending Fax". 

When I press the Off button the printer changes the message to "Can't turn off" for a few seconds and then reverts to "Sending Fax".

I would love to override this issue by way of my PC.

I would love to not spend 30-45 minutes on hold with Canon support.

I have googled this problem to no success.

I would appreciate it if anyone had any insight or options.

All the best,

David

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

First clue.  You can't turn the device off without "pulling the plug' There is something seriously wrong with the device or it's FW has become corrupt.   

DavidM:

" I have to pull the power cord because nothing will turn off the computer."  < You ment Printer right?

Power cycling should resolve the problem.  If it doesn't, and its withing the return period, I'd do that.  If outside that, but still under warranty call Canon.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick.  Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I meant printer and not computer.  Sorry for the confusion.

I saw a video showing a sequence of power button and stop button.  Tried that three times to no avail.

I'll unfortunately call in the morning.

It's still under warranty so things are good that way.

If I hear anything other than the return it option I'll post it to here.

All the best,

David

Hello.

Make sure that there are no print jobs in queue on the PC.  It may be possible that you tried printing to the MB2100 series FAX driver on the computer rather than the printer.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you.  I had a moment so I called it in to Canon support.  They started seeing this issue come up late January 2019 so they were able to determine the remedy quickly.  Delete drivers and reinstall drivers.  Guess I could have done that myself but the Sending Fax message threw me.

Printer works fine now.

All the best,

David

So we thought the printer was fixed.  Printed a couple of pages.  No more "Sending Fax" message.

Then the "Sending Fax" message came back and of course it never goes away.

I got up early to sit in line on the Canon support queue but it was 42 minutes per the automatic voice so I hung up.

I tried deleting the drivers and reinstalling them but it had no effect.

Problem persists.

I'm taking it back.  I have the receipt and it's only 11 months old.

This is our second Canon in 15 months.  We have taken great care of the two machines we've had and thankfully were still under warranty but my family is done with Canon.  Wife's office has Brothers and they don't die in 4 and 11 months respectively.

Thanks to those who responded.  Appreciated.

David

adavidlaw
Apprentice

David - I may have solved this.  My printer had the exact same symptoms.  Everytie I plug it in, after a few seconds, it displayed "sending fax"

Unplugged and replugged the printer.  When the "printer powered off wrong" message, I began repeatly pressing the power off button.  After about 10 seconds, a new message "ending, please wait a while" came up. After about 20 secnds, printer powered off nicely.  Pressed the power button again, and printer came back on properly

Cheers

Another David

Thanks David.  Ended up getting a replacement Canon because it was under warranty.  I haven't seen the problem again.  I will remember your press the power off button mutliple times for if that ever happens again and see if that burns through its desire to send that message.  For now there is a printer that works.  🙂

David

Thanks very much David, this worked for me.

Luisa

almanacs
Apprentice
Thanks all. I used the plan above (Power down; power up; turn on printer; press off/on multiple times when “powered off wrong” message appears) to get out of the “Sending fax...” state. Was then able to print ... from some devices! When I tried to print from my (new) laptop, I was right back where I started. So, I did the fix again and before printing I downloaded and re-installed the printer driver on my pc and voila, the problem hasn’t come back!
Announcements