cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass MF743Cdw - Cannot install the scanner! Win 10 Home

psychobroker
Contributor

I have been having this problem for months (years?) and have GIVEN up, after spending hundreds of $$ on genuine canon printer ink, I cant use the scanner!!

1. "Could not install the scanner driver. Try to install again." x 10000 

followed when I run the MF utility:

2. "A scanner driver supporting this software is not installed.  Install it and try again". - SEE #1  !@#$$

HELP!

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm sorry you are frustrated.  I'm not following your post.  You have not told us what OS version and build you are using the printer with?

What software did you try to install?  What failed or didn't work?

For windows, install this:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDIwMDAwNjg2NTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

For MAC:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAxMjI1ODAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

If the application does not install, we will need to know what the result is,  Error message? , Etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello and my apologies; 

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.5, 2/24/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
BaseBoard Product H77MU3
BaseBoard Version 6.0
Platform Role Desktop
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.3636"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 24.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.24 GB
Total Virtual Memory 48.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 24.5 GB

the software I installed is:  

File Name[Windows 32bit & 64bit] MF Scan Utility Ver.1.21.0.2
TypeSoftware
Date10.18.23
File Size46.06 MB

from https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf743cdw

The printer and fax installed fine, but the Scanner did not, and gave me the following error:

psychobroker_0-1718835802252.png

I tried installing just the scanner, multiple times, all failed.  Ive tried completely uninstalling everything, reinstalling, and still the same problem.  

I can print just fine, but cannot install the scanner, let alone use the MF Scanner tool, which of course does not find the scanner when I open it, because the scanner isn't "installed".

Is the PC link you provided different from the "recommended" drivers on the MF743Cdw page?

Thank you!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Different software, no it's not. You're installing the correct utility 1.21.0.2.  This is correct for the scanner and windows 10 / 11

By chance, did you have any other Canon printers installed prior to installing this device?

Do you have a third party antivirus installed? Something other than Windows Security that comes with the OS.  If so I'd uninstall it, restart and try to reinstall the application again.

Here is a link to a helpful Microsoft utility.  It's provided directly by Microsoft.

Microsoft install / uninstall troubleshooter

Run this if you continue to experience installation issues.  

For clarification

This is for the printer

[Windows 64bit] MF743Cdw/MF741Cdw MFDrivers (Generic Plus UFR II / Generic FAX / ScanGear)

This is for the scanner

[Windows 32bit & 64bit] MF Scan Utility Ver.1.21.0.2

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings ,

Different software, no it's not. You're installing the correct utility 1.21.0.2.  This is correct for the scanner and windows 10 / 11

By chance, did you have any other Canon printers installed prior to installing this device?

Do you have a third party antivirus installed? Something other than Windows Security that comes with the OS.  If so I'd uninstall it, restart and try to reinstall the application again.

Here is a link to a helpful Microsoft utility.  It's provided directly by Microsoft.

Microsoft install / uninstall troubleshooter

Run this if you continue to experience installation issues.  

For clarification

This is for the printer

[Windows 64bit] MF743Cdw/MF741Cdw MFDrivers (Generic Plus UFR II / Generic FAX / ScanGear)

This is for the scanner

[Windows 32bit & 64bit] MF Scan Utility Ver.1.21.0.2

1,  No, no other Canon printers previously
2. YES, i have Webroot installed; should I just pause it vs uninstalling/removing it?
3. "

This is for the printer

>>> OK, but it includes the scanner as a driver to be installed..?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

One of my clients just brought me a laptop he had put Webroot on.  Thats when his problems started.  What a mess that was.  I wiped the machine and reinstalled his OS.  You can do what you like, but my recommendation is dump it.  

The MF Installer does not include a scanner driver.  ScanGear is an application.  You have to install the v1.21.0.2 driver for the scanner to actually operate on a computer.  This also allows you to use the ScanGear application.

Use the names of the installers I referenced above.  These are the two files you need to install.  😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

psychobroker
Contributor

Ok should I just uninstall webroot and go with Windows antivirus?

Thank you again!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Windows Security is adequate for personal use.  It's what I use the majority of the time.  For my business clients, I recommend SentinelOne, Crowdstrike or Bitdefender coupled with a backup strategy.  These provides defense against virus, malware and crypto.  It's important to practice safe browsing habits and good internet hygiene.   Webroot is not known for its detection capability or compatibility.  Free items are often given away for a reason.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

psychobroker
Contributor

Unfortunately, my version of webroot is NOT free.  I will go back of all of your advise and, uninstall webroot, and try again.  Thank you!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements