cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass MF247dw

hbock
Apprentice

Windows reports printer in error state; the printer "error" light does not come on. After a minute or two, the printing resumes, often just one page---then an "error state" message---than the next page---and so on. (If I didn't know better, I would think that something is overheating and has to cool down before resuming work.)

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We are going to need some history and more information.

Windows version and build?

Drivers version installed?

Printer is connect to (what) and (how)?

Did it every work correctly?

What changed?

Error state.  Is there any message or number?

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART170303&cat=1418C011&actp=LIST&showDraft=fa...

You are welcome to provide any other information you think might help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.836.

Driver version 21.75.0.0.

Printer is connected wireless through network.

Don't know if it ever worked without problem; the problem has been going on for months.

There is no message. Windows just opens a message box "Printer is in error state."

Thanks for your help.

Hi hbock.

The problems you describe seem to indicate either a connection issue, a firewall interfering with communications, or (less likely) drivers issues.

If the printer is right beside the router, try giving them at least 2 ft apart.  If they are further apart, double-check the printer's operation panel to ensure the signal strength is good or better. [MF247dw's Network Settings]

In the case of a firewall interfering with data, add an exception in the firewall for the printer, or change the firewall's settings to allow the printer's communication through without issue.

In the case of the drivers, ensure you're using the Canon-produced drivers.  If you have not yet installed them, they may be found at the MF247dw Drivers & Downloads page.  If the Canon drivers are in use and experiencing this problem, open the Printer Properties (Settings >> Devices >> Printers & Scanners >> Canon MF247dw >> Manage >> Printer Properties), select the Ports tab at the top, and then ensure "Bi-directional Printing support" has been enabled.  If this does not correct the problem, double-check that the printer is NOT set to spool printing, as this may cause delays in printing.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have checked out everything. except that the Windows Firewall has a necessary exception. For what port number should I be creating an exception?

Still waiting for a response to this question: "I have checked out everything. except that the Windows Firewall has a necessary exception. For what port number should I be creating an exception?"

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements