cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Canon MF216N, Need to Know something about the Fax Function

abcd1234
Apprentice

I have the mf216n fax function set to "answering machine" mode.

I also have my telephone with built-in answering machine on and both the fax and the telephone share the same line.

So what Im noticing is that this particular fax machine is not "immediately" discerning a fax signal from a regular telephone call signal...Is this common with most fax functions?

I went through the fax setup guide.

The answering machine picks up after 4 rings...and even when I send my office a fax, the phone rings at least 4 times and then the fax machine starts processing the fax signal...Not sure how to decrease the time it takes for the fax function to understand that the signal is a fax....

It just seems common sense, that if the phone/fax signal is being screened first by the mf216n, then relaying the signal to the phone/answering machine when it's not a fax.....that the mf216n, would quitely (maybe ring the phone once) process a fax signal and not relay the signal to the phone/answering machine....  Instead, it seems like this particular machine is relaying both signals because my phone rings regardless of the type of signal (fax or phone)...  Not sure what to do.

What I would like for the canon mf216n to do is screen the signal first, and have the phone ring once to signify that the signal is a fax or continue to ring until we answer the phone (because its a phone call signal).  Does this multifunction printer's fax function have this capability?  Maybe I have changed some other setting...But it just seems like there should be this type of behavior built in to the fax function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a newb with fax machines.  Thank You.

1 REPLY 1

Patrice
Whiz

Hi abcd1234.

I will be able to assist you.

The way that the Answering Machine mode works is that the phone will ring, and if there is no answer, the call will go through the answering machine first, as there is no way to differentiate between a voice or fax call until it is answered.  If the call is a fax call, then the answering machine will hand off the call to the fax machine to begin processing.

With the information you provided on the type of setup you would like, I recommend the DRPD: Select Fax mode.  However, this mode can only be selected if you have the distinctive ring feature set up through your telephone service provider.  This will give you two telephone numbers on the same line with two distinct rings.  You can then use the DRPD: Select Fax mode to select the distinctive ring for the fax number, and any calls with this ring you will know that you can let go directly to the fax machine. 

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements