cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HOW TO] Guide to replacing the touch screen on an imageCLASS MF751Cdw

towardsdawn
Apprentice

Just successfully replaced the touch screen/display on my Canon Image Class MF751cdw, and thought I'd write up a guide in case anyone else needs to do this in the future. When I called Canon support they sent me a replacement touch screen but said they came with no instructions, so hopefully anyone looking to do the same in the future will find this guide 🙂

Before (cracked and unresponsive touch screen):

Spoiler
before.png

 After:

Spoiler
IMG20241013190758.jpg

Tools you'll need:

• Low profile offset Phillips #2 screwdriver (I used Railer screwdriver set from Amazon)
  • Small flathead screwdriver or some sort of prybar
  • Needle nose pliers or tweezers (I used MMOBIEL tweezers from Amazon, very hard to open so I'm not sure if I'd recommend this brand but it's helpful for extracting and putting in tiny screws)

Spoiler
IMG20241013181854.jpg
  1. Turn off and unplug your printer
  2. Unscrew the white side panel screw and pry open the white side panel at the top by the display. Note the tabs holding the side panel in place, circled in red (there are five white tabs on the white side panel corner and one black tab coming off of the black display side panel which inserts into the white side panel). You don't have to take off the whole thing, only enough to be able to remove the black display side panel.
    Spoiler
    IMG20241013184852.jpg

IMG20241013184905.jpg
  3. Pry off the black display access cover panels.
    Spoiler
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 195115.png

Screenshot 2024-10-14 195234.png
  4. Unscrew the black display side cover panel screw, and remove the black display side panel.
    Spoiler
    IMG20241013185605.jpg
  5. Using the low profile offset screwdriver, unscrew these three screws from the back of the display.
    Spoiler
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 195743.png
  6. The display is now no longer screwed in but it is still held in by two black tabs in the front, an axle peg on the left, and a metal hook on the hinge where we just unscrewed the screws. To remove, I recommend working from right to left. Pry open the front right black tab, then you can rotate the entire display counter clockwise to unhook it from the hinge. Then you can pry open the front left black tab and finally pry the peg out from the axle hole.
    Spoiler
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 201745.png
  7. Unplug the two cables. I also circled the clamps in this image because you can see them more clearly here.
    Spoiler
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 201611.png
  8. Now you can unscrew the four remaining screws (the 5th we unscrewed in step 5) holding the black plastic back case onto the old display. Remount it onto the new display
    Spoiler
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 201125.png
  9. Reverse all of the steps above and enjoy your new working printer! Note that when screwing the plastic case back on I recommend avoiding screwing in the 5th screw on the left of the image above until step 5, it makes it way easier to slide the display back on.

3 REPLIES 3

mreg
Contributor

How did it break?

Someone punched it apparently 😂 I didn't see it happen

mreg
Contributor

Haha!  I guess printers can be frustrating.  🙂   

Announcements