cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color imageCLASS MF656Cdw: Printing from the Remote UI

Mudaris
Apprentice

I wasn't sure if this was the correct location. I have a Canon MF566cdw

Anyhow, I want to know how to print from the remote UI -- is there a way to do it so that if I have say, a word doc or PDF I want to print, I can do it? The instructions Canon has whenever I look it up says either I need the Direct Print Kit, or they say I can click on a direct print option that doesn't appear in my remote UI. 

I have no clue what the Direct Print Kit is, I google it and it just loops back to various mentions of it but it does not say whether I can download it or link to it. It's this mysterious thing. 

This is what my remote UI Looks like, I am using a mac, I would like to know if I log in from a windows machine if IU can print from it. The reason I want to do this at all is that my wife's windows machine seems to not want to "talk" to the printer over our network; it appears on the list, but when we try to connect it comes back with "that didn't work" -- and we cannot install the driver on her machine because she is not an admin. And her security protocols prevent us from simply putting it on a usb stick. 

Anyhow, any assistance is appreciated. I attached a screenshot of what my remote UI looks like, there is no direct print option on there. I did set up a pin and logging in works, at least on this browser.  

Screen Shot 2024-08-08 at 4.49.52 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The Remote UI is a convenience feature that allows you to configure features, settings and advanced functions of the printer.  It is not used for scanning or printing.  It's a web based settings editor.  There is no scanning or printing functionality built into this utility.  

Printing from a remote computer.  The printer has a feature called iFAX.  It requires that printer has Internet connectivity.  This feature allows you to send an email to an address configured on the printer and supported attachments are printed when received.  It essentially works like a fax machine, but you don't need a phone line and instead of using a telephone number, you are sending to an email address.  

This is a feature of the device that you program in the Remote UI.  The same way you'd specify paper type, a scan to destination (like a computer, email or cloud based application). Google Drive, one drive, Box, etc.  

The settings for this are located on the same screen as Tx (Transmit Settings).  They are Rx (Receive settings). 

I found the reference for the Direct Print "Kit" you must has stumbled on searching the web.  Yes, it's for another device (Image Runner). 

"Direct Print" is already built in and included on your Image Class printer.  

If you have other questions, please let me know.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sounds like you have some challenges going on there.  I own the MF656Cdw as well.  

Your printer needs paper 😃

I can help with install on PC or MAC, but the user does need to have local admin privileges to install the drivers and software.  It sounds like her PC is a corporate issued device and that she doesn't have local admin privileges, or the ability to save to USB.    

A Direct Print Kit License is not supported on the MF656Cdw.  Where are you seeing that?  Its not in the Printer's User Guide.  I think you are chasing something that is not needed or does not exist for this model. 

Canon - imageCLASS MF656Cdw / MF654Cdw / MF653Cdw / MF652Cw - User's Guide (Product Manual)

You can print directly from a USB Stick using the printers LCD.  You don't need to log into the Remote UI and you don't need anything special to do so.  

shadowsports_0-1723160532931.png

Using a USB Memory Device - Canon - imageCLASS MF656Cdw / MF654Cdw / MF653Cdw / MF652Cw - User's Gui...

Once the drive is inserted, look for a menu option on the LCD called "Memory Media Print"

shadowsports_1-1723160879724.png

Once selected, the supported files types are displayed.  JPG, PDF, TIFF, Docx and others.  Tap the file and you can print.  

Note, the manual says the USB stick must be formatted FAT16 or 32, but I just stuck an NTFS formatted drive in my 656 and had no problem browsing files or printing.  

If you use your MAC to format a USB stick, make sure you select a supported file system.  I haven't tried HFS+ or APFS, so I suggest sticking with a supported file system.  

If you want help installing on either system and have admin permissions, let me know  😊 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yea, I figured out how to print from a USB stick. Again, I am trying to suss out whether it is possible to PRINT FROM THE REMOTE UI. That is, can I or can I NOT use the Remote UI to print a document from a remote computer, as a work around? 

I kept seeing references to direct kit print when I did google searches. It would take me to a manual that clearly wasn't for the correct printer. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The Remote UI is a convenience feature that allows you to configure features, settings and advanced functions of the printer.  It is not used for scanning or printing.  It's a web based settings editor.  There is no scanning or printing functionality built into this utility.  

Printing from a remote computer.  The printer has a feature called iFAX.  It requires that printer has Internet connectivity.  This feature allows you to send an email to an address configured on the printer and supported attachments are printed when received.  It essentially works like a fax machine, but you don't need a phone line and instead of using a telephone number, you are sending to an email address.  

This is a feature of the device that you program in the Remote UI.  The same way you'd specify paper type, a scan to destination (like a computer, email or cloud based application). Google Drive, one drive, Box, etc.  

The settings for this are located on the same screen as Tx (Transmit Settings).  They are Rx (Receive settings). 

I found the reference for the Direct Print "Kit" you must has stumbled on searching the web.  Yes, it's for another device (Image Runner). 

"Direct Print" is already built in and included on your Image Class printer.  

If you have other questions, please let me know.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes thanks, that is the question I was trying to answer. 

Now one thing that the instructions are not clear on: it says that I need to have a POP server interval or I can receive ifaxes manually. I am not sure what the difference is (since it says if there is anything in the POP server it is printed anyway) and I also am not sure what settings to put in the POP server if I set up a gmail address. Help? 

Also I put the username and PW for the email address I set up and I keep getting authentication errors when I check the connection in the remote UI. The manual is fantastically unhelpful here. 

Announcements