cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF634Cdw will not Print or Scan After Setting for a few days (Mac OS 10.13.16)

dirksgoat
Apprentice

I have had nothing but problems with this printer.  Every single time I have not used it in several days, I have to contact support for some non sense work-around to get it to work.  I am running TWO Macs 10.13.6. 

The first thing was we had to change it to a static IP address becuase if you left the house and came back with your computer, it would not print.  Did this with canon support.  Worked for a bit, but then i would have to reset and reinstall drivers on static IP to get it to work EVERYTIME.

Now I get the "Filter Error" ALL THE TIME!  Canon support tells me the PDF is corrupt.  Really?  Then why can I send that PDF to any other computer/Printer and it will print?  Including off my phone.

Today i try and print anything.  A web page, PDF, word, ANYTHING I one of two things happen.

1.  I get the "Filter Error" 

2.  The printer beeps that it recieved the job, it shows up on the LCD, but never prints it.

I deleted the old printer/drivers and installed the new one as of 8/20/19 today.

no change, does not work.  Adding the normal way, or setting up as a static IP

My  other Mac that still had old drivers and static IP will not print either.

I purchased this pritner 4/2/19 and have had nothing but issues.  had an old MG6120 that worked all the time.

I would like DETAILED instructions what this issue is, and how to correct.  If not, a PRODUCT WITH MINIMAL ISSUES.  

Completely at my whits end with this thing. 

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

So you appear to have 2 unrelated issues.

Using a static IP.  Done correctly, this is a good idea.  I assume you have either assigned the printer an IP address outside of the DHCP range on your router, or reserved an IP using its MAC address.  Both will achieve the same result and ensure the printer always receives the same address.  This will allow devices on your network to "find" the printer.  Not sometimes, all of the time.

This includes:

You leaving the house and coming back

Turning the printer off for days, then turining it back on

Allowing the printer to go to sleep, then wake up

If you cannot ping your printer every time after one of the above events with a static IP set, you need to look at your networking equipment and ensure its configured and operating properly.  Regardless of how the printer is connected (wired or wireless) if it is indeed getting the same IP, you will always be able to PING it from another device on the network.   

We aren't there to see your set up or how you have things configured, but you can use the above as a guide.  If you cannot PING the printer successfully every time, start there, and resolve that issue first.  This is a one time set up. 

Filter error:

The filter error is a drivers issues.  It has been ongoing across several Canon printer models and versions of MAC OS. 

There is a hoaky work around where you save the file you want to print as a TIFF, then print which seems to get you around the filter error.  Not a solution if you ask me.

This leads me to ask:

What application are your printing from?  Native MAC OS, Adobe Acrobat or other .PDF application?

Is there a reason why you haven't updated to Mojave? 

If you are using native .PDF support in OSX try using Acrobat, it might resolve the problem.  Drivers for both High Sierra and Mojave were updated as of 8/20 (as you mentioned).  Updating to Mojave might also help.  I would suggest removing the printer, and off of its drivers first, upgradng and reinstalling using the correct installers for your OS. 

A "product with minimal issues".  I know, you just want it to work.  I don't blame you.  Its a printer and you just need it to do its job.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My computer does not say there is anymore updates, therefore assumed i was not possible to upgrade to mojave

Just tried to download the Mojave from the app store, and this is what it says.

This version of macOS 10.14.6 cannot be installed on this computer.

computer is a 2011 model.  but works great. no issues other than the printer.  usually just printing PDF's from Macs preview.  of directly from website, via google chrome

Announcements