cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Scan on network with MF4890dw

HarryJ
Apprentice

I can print and I can fax - but I cannot get the scan function to work on my home network. It says "cannot communicate" when I run the toolbox. I moved the printer and scanned using a USB cable just fine (changing the settings to turn USB on). But when back on the network - nothing.

I am on Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and I do have another scanner (Epson) plugged in via USB which continues to work fine - but it doesn't have an automatic feed so I prefer to use the Canon.

I installed the latest firmware on the device as well - but no change.

18 REPLIES 18

Patrice
Whiz

Hi HarryJ!

When scanning over the network with the imageCLASS MF4890dw, you will need to register the scanner in the MF Network Scan Utility.  To perform this operation, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the blue scanner icon in the system tray on the Windows 8 desktop.
  2. Click the checkbox for the MF4890dw and then click [OK].

Next, scan a document, using the following steps:

1. Verify that MF Toolbox is closed on the computer and press the [SCAN] button on the printer.
  2. Highlight [Remote Scanner] and press [OK].  The screen will show, "Remote Scanner. Waiting online...".
  3. On the computer, open the MF Toolbox and select [PDF].
  4. Click the green [START] button on the [PDF] window.  The machine will start processing the scan.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If the error persists, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same issue with my laptop.  I have deleted everything, downloaded the drivers and tool box from the CanonUSA.com website and spent 3 hours on the phone with tech support.  The drivers are there, it prints and faxes perfectly, it just doesn't recognize the scanner and I don't have a USB cable to try that route.  I am running Windows 7 and have no other printer devices hooked up to my laptop.

Hi Stely54.

What is the exact error message that you receive when you attempt to scan a document?

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

A supported scanner is not installed.

Please install a supported scanner, and then restart Toolbox.

Thank you for the reply stely54.

Please follow the instructions below and verify if you experience the same error:

1. Open the Windows desktop.

2. Right click on the MF Toolbox icon and click properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab, then click "Change settings for all users".

4. Put a check next to "Run this program as an administrator", then click Apply and OK.

5. Click OK again on the properties screen.

The MF Toolbox should operate normally for scanning.

I hope this information is helpful.  If the error persists, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Hello,

I'm having the same problem, even after trying your above suggestion re adding permissions to run as administrator. 

When opening MF Toolbox, the error message is "A supported scanner is not installed.  Help!

The scanner doens't show up in the list inside the Canon MF Network Scan utility.

derekw
Apprentice

Same problem on Windows 7. 

tongcanon
Apprentice

I have the same problem, and I am on window 10. It happened very recently. I noticed that there appeared some automatic driver installation: a driver mf44scn.inf was installed on 4/12/2016. I think, that was when the problem started.

My printer is working fine, but not the scanner.

Looking forward your help. Thanks

Announcements