cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the best and fastest lense for indoor basketball. low light- using a canon 70D

mariannemunn
Contributor

I shoot high school basketball games in small low lit gyms.  I use the Canon D70 with the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.  This takes good pictures but I want sharper picture quality.  I need a fast lense!! I have been looking at the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II (think 70-200 will limit what I can capture in my lenses because of space. Also looking at 24-70 f/2.8 L II but have read that the auto focus is a bit slow.  and last the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM, but I'm afraid to go to the f/3.5-5.6. Because thats what I have now. 

Any advice would be great! 

38 REPLIES 38

Skirball
Authority

If you can afford it get the 70-200 II; no question about it.  It's not the fastest, but it's close, and it's a fantastic lens - one of the best available.

I'm not sure what you mean by fastest.  In photography it usually means a wide aperture.  Canon does make a 200mm f/2 prime lens.  But it costs about $6000.  And there's no zoom. 

I do think I prefer the ability to zoom verses the prime lenses.  I am willing to spend 2,000-3,000 for the right lense.  Just still unsure.  I have the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS but the auto focus is too slow for basketball. 

The L series of lenses (in general) have the fastest AF of the Canon lenses but certain bodies can drive that AF system faster than others.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

cicopo
Elite

Before you go any farther take a good look at the photos you've already got so you can see what range you need & use the most. You'll need to know whether you shoot wider than 70 a lot or longer than 70 a lot because I doubt you'll have time to switch regularly. As for the 28-300 I use it a lot & wouldn't recommend it as a great indoor lens plus it's HEAVY.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I do like the close up shots.  I seldom shoot at a distance.  I have definitely perfected the use of my lens and camera with timing mostly.  I've learned to watch the game and ball with one eye and ready focus with the other anticipating the next shot!  My photos are pretty good, but I now want better! : D 

@cicopo wrote:

Before you go any farther take a good look at the photos you've already got so you can see what range you need & use the most. You'll need to know whether you shoot wider than 70 a lot or longer than 70 a lot because I doubt you'll have time to switch regularly. As for the 28-300 I use it a lot & wouldn't recommend it as a great indoor lens plus it's HEAVY.

I don't shoot sports, but I do shoot other events, and I gave up long ago on the idea of doing event photography with only one camera. You just can't get enough range with a lens that's fast enough to use indoors.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Fully agree with you Bob but not everyone can afford 2 bodies & 2 high end lenses when they start. I rely on 2 bodies at most events but have been known to have 4 at the ready. It's still a hobby but I'm old enough to have built up a decent collection of gear that fits my needs & have very few expenses in life. Most of my expenses are business related & I even get to buy a decent camera & lens as part of my business. 

I have the Canon 60D and 70D  would these be okay with the lenses you mentioned? 

The 70D is better.

By far your best buy is the 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM II.  It is the best lens on the planet.  If it can't do it, it probably can't be done.  You can rent one from LensRentals and give is a go first.

I my younger days I did high school BB games and I always used two bodies.  I had my 24-70mm f2.8 L on one and the 70-200mm on the other. I used 1 series camera, though.

This may sound silly since one of the features of a DSLR is lens changeability.  However that feature is not always welcomed. This is one time it is not.  BB is a fast game and there is little time to change lenses.

Most sporting events limit your position so you have to make do with what they give you.  I don't know about yours but ours does.  I would certainly forget any notion of a fixed or prime lens for BB.

Your 70D and 60D should be able to use ISO 1600?  Keeping the ISO higher may help.

The purchase of the 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM II is a lens that will stay with you no matter what other gear (camera) you may decide to upgrade and it will do so for years.  Sometimes it's best to buy the best.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements