cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should you pay extra for IS?

limvo05
Rising Star

Hi All,

I would like to know your thought on paying extra for IS. Do you really need IS for 300mm and beyond? I am keen at getting either 300 or 400 mm lens for bird photography. That said, I found myself shooting mostly with a tripod.

Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26

""..with mirrorless bodes, many users are reporting that the images from the older great whites are sharper....""  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

"...the RF/EF adapters are mount adapters, not lens adapters."

An adapter is an adapter. No other way to put it. Smiley Sad It adapts something that was not designed to work on to some other something else. At the very least it is another piece of gear you need to keep track of. I need for this lens so I put it on, oh wait, no, I don't need it for this lens. Just something I am not wanting to deal with.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

""..with mirrorless bodes, many users are reporting that the images from the older great whites are sharper....""  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

"...the RF/EF adapters are mount adapters, not lens adapters."

An adapter is an adapter. No other way to put it. Smiley Sad It adapts something that was not designed to work on to some other something else. At the very least it is another piece of gear you need to keep track of. I need for this lens so I put it on, oh wait, no, I don't need it for this lens. Just something I am not wanting to deal with.

That point of view is your personal opinion, and preference.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

And correct! Smiley Very Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

And correct! Smiley Very Happy

"I don't think there is a correct or short answer to this question."

That is true.  You are learning, although some seem to think their way or no way.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You really shouldn't take everything so seriously especially when it is done in jest, my friend. Smiley Happy

EB

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yes. If anything it really helps framing with long lenses.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do you really need IS for ...?

I came from a world that didn't have IS.  It was an unknown concept. We learned how to get good shots anyway.  So, for me it is a nice to have but not a must have. If there are two identical lenses, one with IS and the other without, I would buy the one with IS every time.  However, if there was no choice and no IS was the only option, I would have no problem buying it.

EB
Announcements