cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a one-lens solution for my photo needs on high speed Corvette Races. Will 35-350L do?

Texian4
Apprentice

I need one lens to carry on my 1D during long road rallies with the Corvette Race club.  Would the 35-350L be a good canditate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have a 1D ?  Smiley Surprised   Or do you have a later 1 D seires camera?  Smiley Happy

I have used and still use a 1D.  It would not be my first choice, or 2nd, or 3rd, for motorsports shooting with whatever lens.

At 4MP you are going to be really handicaped in any sort of enlargements.

The 1D is a fantastic camera and at one time the best camera in the world with a, at the time, insane price of around 8 grand.

If you do indeed have a 1D, I would search for a later 1 series and the best buy right now is a 1D Mk III.

Than the addition of the EF 35-350mm f3.5-5.6, or better yet the EF 28-350mm f3.5-5.6 should work well.

With a lot of practice as suggested above.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

The lens can do it but can you? Motorsports photography is like aviation photography in that you can't use high shutter speeds & need a very smooth pan. I don't know if anyone else here has the 35-350 but I do & have used it extensively at R/C events. AF is pretty fast & quite accurate on a 1D series body but it still needs decent light & the proper skills. You can see some samples from my use about 3/4 of the way down this page.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1289746/1

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have a 1D ?  Smiley Surprised   Or do you have a later 1 D seires camera?  Smiley Happy

I have used and still use a 1D.  It would not be my first choice, or 2nd, or 3rd, for motorsports shooting with whatever lens.

At 4MP you are going to be really handicaped in any sort of enlargements.

The 1D is a fantastic camera and at one time the best camera in the world with a, at the time, insane price of around 8 grand.

If you do indeed have a 1D, I would search for a later 1 series and the best buy right now is a 1D Mk III.

Than the addition of the EF 35-350mm f3.5-5.6, or better yet the EF 28-350mm f3.5-5.6 should work well.

With a lot of practice as suggested above.

EB

Thanks for the good news...  I will look for a used copy of the 28-350.  BTW my "1D" is really two bodies --  1D MkII and a 1D MkIII.......  No I am no rich, I bought them used a while back with less than 30,000 actuations each.  I love em. but they sure  take up space in my 2011 Brickyard 400 (Nascar #40) Corvette which we will be caravaning to the Corvette Museum in Bolling Green, Ky. for possible induction in August.   Thanks much.

Take the 1D Mk III and the 28-350mm.  Even though the Mk II doubles the MP's of the original 1D, the Mk III has better specs all around than either.   One huge drawback to the Mk II is you can not access the Personal Functions with out a Firewire.  You don't need anything extra for the PF in a Mk III.

Another being the lithium battery and the ability to write a different file, jpg to one and RAW, to either card.  Not to mention 2 more MP's and 2 more FPS.

I wish you all the luck and hope it turns out to be a sucessful vourney.

EB

Be advised that the 28-300 is considerably heavier than the 35-350 but the AF is faster (if you use the limiter switch) & the IS is SWEET.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Great cameras and a great opportunity to use them. Couldn't help but note that a 7D with the new Tamron 16-300 would save you about 3 lbs of camera weight. (Compared to the 1DMkIII with 28-300.) Oh well, you can't have it all.

Good luck.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements