cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whcih camera?

Jlzsan
Apprentice
Hi i am new to taking pictures and am looking into purchasing a new camera. I would like a good camera for taking sports/ motion pics indoor and outdoor. I am not camera savy by any means. We have had a nikon coolpic, and a cannon powershot not crazy about either. I would like one that can wirelessly transfer pics online. Where do i start? Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Do you have a budget in mind?

Sports and action photography is probably the most demanding because it wants a camera and lenses with very fast focusing performance and preferablly a pretty good continuous shooting frame rate.

Video is a bit easier... most cameras can do video now.

When I first read your post, I tought it had "Canon 70D" written all over it.   The 70D has the same focusing system previosly found on the 7D (19 cross-type AF points) and a continuous shooting speed of 7 frames per second.  ALSO... it does a particuarly good job with auto-focus in video because it has Canon's new dual pixel AF which is able to do fast and continuous phase-detect focusing directly on the imaging sensor (previously no DSLR could do that -- so this is a big leap forward.)  Also... it has built-in WiFi.

But as you mention your previous cameras were Nikon & Canon point & shoot models, this would be a big jump for you both in camera size as well as price tag.  It's about $1200 body only and about $1350 to $1550 for the body with one of the two kit lenses (18-55 or 18-135mm).  

A point & shoot is never going to compete with the DSLR in terms of how quickly the camera can lock focus and take the shot.  The speed at which a point & shoot can lock focus is based on how quickly it can analyze the image ... and that's really just a function of how fast the CPU in the camera is running.  But the trade-off is that the faster the CPU can run, the faster it drains the battery.  So there's a battery life vs. performance trade-off that manufacturer's have to make and since they DO make cameras optimized for sports and action photography, they usually favor battery life on the point & shoot cameras.  

Canon Powershots were never known for their fast focus and shooting speeds (but then again, most point & shoots aren't speedy at this).  The G15 took a big step forward and finally had shooting speed which was at least "average" to "above average" in performance tests.  As point & shoot models go, it was fairly good and outperformed Nikon's P7100 and P7700 (according to DPReview).

The new G16 is even faster and is regarded as being fairly snappy as point & shoot cameras go.  It claims to do 9.3 frames per second, has a shorter time to achieve auto-focus, and has a burst mode that can hit 12 frames per second.  It also has built-in WiFi.  The zoom lens is f/1.8 at the wide end and f/2.8 at the telephoto end.  That's actually quite fast and ideal for low light.  This is probably a camera you should check out.  It's considered an 'advanced' point & shoot camera (fairly sophisticated and powerful as point & shoot cameras go -- these are cameras that DSLR owners will often buy as a second camera for those places where a DSLR is either not permitted or not practical.)

Incidentally, Canon makes a _lot_ of Powershot models.  Which model were you using?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I have the poershotsx20is- I can never seem to get a good picture
With this one. I am definately amateur when it comes to taking pictures
What I am interested in is a good camera to take my kids pictures in
School activities and sports. I was thinking about the 70. Is this camera
Difficult to work? Does it work well without the additional lenses? I am
Overwhelmed at the choices.... Wanna make sure it's the right choice
If I am spending $1200 +

The $1200 price tag of the 70D is for the "body only".  Since these are removable lens cameras, some people are upgrading from previous bodies and they already lenses -or- they don't want one of the lenses offered as a "kit" and prefer to find something else.

The 70D _with_ an 18-135mm zoom is a bit over $1500.  That's Canon's new "STM" lens which is much faster focusing than the previous 18-135 and the optical quality is also improved... but not as fast and snappy as Canon's "USM" lenses.  The difference between the "STM" and "USM" lens is the type of focusing motor in the lens.  The "USM" lenses are fairly quiet and quite snappy.  The "STM" lenses are fast, but not as fast as the USM... but they are exceptionally quiet -- so quiet that when filming video the sound of the motor cannot be heard by the built-in microphone on the camera.

The T5i and T3i are also going to do great job at action photography / sports, but the 70D has more cross-type auto-focus points and a faster continuous shooting speed -- it also has paritularly good continuous focus when shooting video.  The T5i has that but it's not as good as the 70D.  The T3i does not continuously focus in video mode.

The cameras are just tools... the tool has to be adequate for the task, but to really exploit the tool you have to learn to use it.  Some proper camera stores (not big box stores that happen to sell cameras) offer classes to customers who buy cameras from them.  It's one of the benefits of using a real camera store.   There are also some very good books highly recommended for beginners.

All DSLRs have a fully automatic mode.   Point it and take a picture... just like a point & shoot.  But that's sort of wasting the capabilities of a camera that can do so much more.

The camera also has some scene-based modes... these are found on all "Rebel" bodies as well as on the mid-range bodies such as the 70D.  These scene based modes are not found on the high-end bodies because the scene mode is really just a mode that tells the camera "I'm about to shoot some action shots" and the camera understands what it needs to do to pull those shots off.  And that primarily means tells the camera to do THREE major things:

1)  Use fast shutter speeds... by "fast" we mean speeds like 1/500th or faster... but whatever the lighting, optimize the camera to try to use fast speeds.

2)  Change the focus mode to a continuous mode -- expecting the subject to change distances.  (In the default mode, the camera only focuses until it's able to achieve focus on a subject and then the focusing system stops and waits for you to shoot... the default mode of the focus system does not expect subjects to keep moving or focus distances to change.)

3)  It puts the shutter into high-speed continuous shooting mode (meaning... if you press and just keep holding down the shutter button... the camera will just keep shooting as fast as it can.  In the default mode the camera would just take one shot only and wait for you to release the shutter button.)

Experienced photographers know that they need to change these settings to shoot action -- having the scene-based mode is really just redundant.  But the scene modes are convenient for photographers who have not learned about all these various controls.

That means you could just put the camera into the "action" mode and go have fun with it ... not worrying too much about how it knows what to do.

You can improve your photography by learning more about the settings that control the exposure and take the camera out of the automatic modes and start using the semi-auto and manual modes -- these modes offer you more control over the outcome.

Most consumer lenses are priced in the $200 to $500 (or maybe $600) range.  There are some higher end lenses that run $1000 and up.  Canon probably makes 75 lenses or more that work with that camera.

For "daytime" action photography, the kit lens that comes with the camera will do fine, but you might want a lens with a telephoto zoom for field sports.  The lenses in the $500-600 range tend to have Canon's "USM" focusing motors which are fairly quick at focusing.  

There are lenses that are good in low light and don't _necessarily_ cost a lot of money.  Canon makes a 50mm f/1.8 lens that costs around $125 (give or take) which is great for low light BUT it has a slow focusing motor -- not fast enough to keep up with rapidly changing focus situations like action shots.  Canon makes a much faster 50mm lens but it's closer to $400.

Where it does get painful is the lenses which are great telephoto zooms AND are able to collect a LOT of light.  Those are not inexpensive lenses (e.g. $2000 and up).  Again... for "daytime" sports, those lenses aren't needed.  These expensive lenses are good in situations where the available light is rather poor, but you still need a fast shutter speed (e.g. night-time sports games or indoor sports such as basketball played in gymnasium where the lights are not particularly bright by photography standards.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements