cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camera suggestions (advanced photographers)

jmarion
Apprentice

Hello all, I'm Jennifer!

I'm currently looking for a new camera since my EOS 50D finally bit the dust. I am a fine art photographer working to get my masters in the field so I take photography very seriously. I have a couple lenses for my camera such as a Rokinon 50 mm (I think that's right..this was a hand me down and the info is worn off) and a canon zoom lens EF 16-35mm. I would like to be able to use my lenses with the new camera but would love some feedback from others whom have been in my postion. Lately I've been looking at buying a canon full frame mirrorless camera but am afraid I won't be able to use my lenses with it. Please any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm trying to keep the price at 3,000 max.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm not familiar with Rokinon, but am assuming it has an EF mount (vs. EF-S).

Anyhow, if both lenses are EF mount, you can get an adapter for any of Canon's RF mount mirroless offerings (e.g. R6, R5).

Did you absolutely need mirrorless? I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pick up say a 5D Mark IV which is now around 2,400 USD (same as an EOS R6).

Then again, if you go with the mirrorless line, you could eventually move to RF lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Canon makes adapters for your lenses that will let them be used on a mirrorless R camera.

At this time it is right on the edge as to whether to get mirrorless or DSLR.

Look hard at the 90D. If that doesn't seem to meet your needs, look at mirrorless.

jmarion
Apprentice
Mirrorless isn't a must. Right now I'm debating between the 90d and the 6D Mark ii. I really like the idea of having a full frame camera but I do occasionally shoot video..so its a tough decision.

@jmarion wrote:
Mirrorless isn't a must. Right now I'm debating between the 90d and the 6D Mark ii. I really like the idea of having a full frame camera but I do occasionally shoot video..so its a tough decision.

Greetings,

This might be helpful:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-Mark-II-vs-Canon-EOS-90D

The side by side above should help you decide between the 6D2 and 90D

90D great for sports, 4k Video

6D2 Slightly better low light ISO and DR, onboard GPS, FF Sensor, softer bokeh

I'd get the 6D2, but you'll have to weight whats important to you.  The 90D is no slouch (and awesome). 

If your Rokinon is f1.4 then both of your lenses are FF.  You can use them on a 90D no problem, but they were intended for FF.

My advice, stay away from Canon's current mirrorless.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, basing a decision on a new camera purchase because of a Rokinon lens is, ... well... not the best one. Not trying to sound rude but come on its a Rokinon! The best, only choice for a, " I take photography very seriously"  person is mirrorless.

You can adapt the 16-35mm to a Canon mirrorless "R" series, so it is not lost.  Mirrorless is the future EF is not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Disagree with the only choice being mirrorless.

It's not like EF lenses will start failing to work.  DSLRs are still very relevant.

Also, before moving to mirrorless, one needs to understand the overhead.

For example, many of us probably have LP-E6 or LP-E6N batteries.  And no doubt many will have SD cards.   However, for the EOS R line, one may want to move up to the LP-E6NH batteries and dependining on what you get, you'll want to also move up to UHS-II SD cards.  The R5 also needs CF Express cards.   Such things are not cheap.

What I did was to create a B&H wishlist for all the parts I'd need to move to one of Canon's R series cameras.   That will help understand the total cost in moving to that system.

--
Ricky

Upgrade time for a "I take photography very seriously"  type person is exactly the right time to go mirrorless. Especially considering, "my EOS 50D finally bit the dust." Buying into another EF system from that relic form the past because of a Rokinon lens is not money wise at all. He, you and the rest will someday anyway. The writing is on the wall. All you are doing by not embracing it, is putting off the eventual.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jmarion
Apprentice

Thank you all for the input!

I have decided to go with the 6D Mark ii.

Truly appreciate all the helpful advice.

You're welcome. Enjoy your new camera!

--
Ricky

Announcements