cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 or new G5x Mark II?

JainJude
Apprentice

I currently have the G5X and I really like it.

I miss a little bit more zoom and a better phone connectivity. It is quite bulky to carry around.

I was going for the M50 with 15-45 + 55-200 lens. Since it in bulky to carry, at least I have more options, Than the new G5X mark II is out.

I have tried the 15-45 lens on a M100 of a friend. I got disapointed on low light.

What would be your pick for carring around and low light performance?
M50 (with what lens?) or G5X mark II?

Is there anything else I should consider?

Portability is important, low light perfomance, connectivity... Zoom is a plus. Mic imput as well...

Is there a new G1X predicted? that could pack it all...

2 REPLIES 2

Charlie1173
Contributor
Looks like this is an old post but, I thought I'd reply anyway. I have the M50 and it does okay in low light. It's a crop sensor so, it has about the same expectations at high ISO as any other crop sensor. The only way to get around this that I've found is with a full frame sensor. One solution I've found is with a device called a speedbooster. It allows full frame lenses to be used on a mirrorless that make total use of the full frame from the lens and then shrink it to fit the crop sensor. It gives you one extra stop of light, just like a full frame sensor does. The cheap speedboosters aren't great. The good one is made by Metabones and is currently $479. My advice: Either underexpose in RAW and then bring the details back in post or, if you're mostly a JPEG shooter, expose 2/3 9f a stop to the right of zero and then go ahead and shoot at the higher ISO. The higher ISO setting helps resolve some of the noise.

Good luck.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Take a look at the EOS SL3.

It is small. It has a 24 MP APS-C-format CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 image processor, high-resolution stills and UHD 4K video recording. A wide ISO 100-25600 sensitivity range to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions. Plus you will have the total access to any for the EF and EF-S lens line up Canon has.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements