cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighting to show muscle definition?

tactom12
Contributor

What types of lights/ backdrops would be ideal to define muslce definition. If anyone knows of a lighting diagram that works well for muscle defition type pictures, please send me the link. Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

What type of lighting do you have?  (type, quantity, modifiers, off camera?)

Just about any studio lighting is going to accentuate muscle tone better than ambient light.  With the exception of something like Clamshell lighting, which is designed to hide skin detail.  However, if you really want to turn it up, then you’ll want to pull the lights to the side.  Basically you want the muscles that are facing the camera, think of them as little hills, to be lit from the sides so one side is light, the other dark.  That’s how we interpret shape on a two-dimensional image.   If you have at least three lights you can put one on each side of the subject, then one more or less straight on (up a little?) to light the face. 

But any professional image you see in a magazine or online, and I mean any, has been post processed.  If you’re trying to increase muscle tone I guarantee they did some form of “Dodge and Burn”.  There are many different ways to do it, and it’s quite easy, but you’ll need a program like Photoshop or Gimp.  Lightroom can do it, but it’s not as flexible.  You’re just making the highlights a little higher, and the shadows a little darker.  You can really enhance muscle tone. Search for Dodge and Burn on YouTube, there’s countless videos on it.  Phlearn has a pretty good one, I forget what it’s called, but if you go to Phlearn.com you can probably search for it.

I dont have a lighting set up. Muscle definition is what I would be most commonly photographing. If you guys could send me links where I could purchase specific lights/ stands/ backdrops etc. that would be great. Thanks for the great advice by the way. 

If you’re not currently using lighting then the quickest way to get up and running would be HDR with selective dodging and burning.  But I already voiced my opinion on that.

As far as which lighting, that is an extremely complex question, with a lot of different answers.  What do you intend on the photos being used for?  Are you going to be shooting entirely in a studio or some outside?  What’s your budget?  What level of quality are you going for?  Will you be using the lighting for other uses?  Are the models professionals, amateurs, or first-timers?

Unless you’re going to be shooting entirely in a studio I would recommend getting speedlights.   They allow you to build up a supply slowly (if needed), they can be used in all kinds of other photography, they’re portable, and can be relatively cheap.   I recommend a mixture of different lights, from simple (cheap) to more complex with automatic functions (eTTL).  I’m sure someone will be on shortly to tell you to just buy four 600ex-rt.

In addition to the lights, you’ll need triggers, cables, modifiers, stands, batteries, chargers, reflectors, gels, snoots, grids, etc.  And most importantly, you’ll need to know how to use them.  I wouldn’t plan on just charging a bunch of stuff on Amazon, having it delivered, and cranking out shots that week.  This takes practice and research.  I fully support you diving straight in, but you need to be realistic about it.  That said, judging by some of the photos I see on Flickr, there are plenty of people that do just that.

I recommend checking out Strobist.com, start at the beginning.  Even if you plan on using studio lights, this will give you a good intro to the equipment, techniques, and  the why of flash photography.  If you’re not completely engrossed in the first couple of pages, flash photography might not be your cup of tea.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/02/welcome-to-strobist.html

I am taking begging photograhpy, my expericence is low and thats why im seeking advice from you guys. Thanks for all the advice. I would be mainly shooting portiats, muscle definition and firearms. I would be turning my garage into a studio. I will start my research on the items/ technuiqes you mentioned. I have a lot of learning to do. Thanks for your help. 

Like I said, the Strobist website is great.  It fueled my love, bordering on addiction, of flash photography.  It's the single most distinct form of photography there is; flash acts completely different than ambient/continuous light, and allows you to do things you can’t do otherwise, and combining the two adds even more possibilities.

Since you have no experience I would definitely recommend starting with speedlights.  I don’t know what your budget is, but I would get something like the following to start:

2 speedlites, generic (Yongnuo or Lumopro).  1 should be eTTL equipped (such as Yongnuo 565), the other one need not be if you want to save some cash (Yongnuo560III – highly recommend)

Radio triggers, generic Yongnuo.   Allow you to get your flashes off camera.  The YN 622 triggers ($80/pair) offer eTTL, but I’m actually going to recommend the YN 602 ($25/pair).  They’re manual only, but they’re much smaller, and they have a 1/4" thread on the bottom for attaching to light stands.  Mine never come off.  There are people that advocate using eTTL for studio lighting, but the majority still use manual.  I highly recommend learning it.   The reason I recommend getting 1 eTTL flash is for when you want to use the flash on-camera, say at a evening dinner party when you want to fill in the lighting a bit.

Light stands.  I use the Manfrotto Nanos ($60?).  Love them.  They’re small, relatively cheap, and durable.  There are several others out there, I can’t speak to.  Manfrotto aren’t air cushions, I never had the need (but you only need it once to make it worth it!).

Umbrella adapters.  Go on light stand, hold strobes and umbrellas.  USE THE MANFROTTO.  Do not get some generic plastic POS.  I have some, they’re in the bottom of my drawer, broken.  For just a little more get something quality.

Umbrellas.  Cheapos off Amazon.  Two.  Get 40+ inch if you have the space.  Some like shoot through, some reflective, I like the ones that do both.

Camera tripod.  Have one?  Get one.  Don’t go cheap, you will accidently hit your tripod at some point in the studio, make sure it’ll still hold up your camera.  Same goes for the ball head, or what ever type of camera mount you get.  If you’re going to be doing table top (guns), you’ll want one that can hold a camera with a heavy lens steady, and make small precise changes.

Reflectors.  Important, especially when you start with only two lights.  Big pieces of colored posterboard work, but I would also get one of those generic 5-in-1 folding doo dads off Amazon.  I got the cheapest one I could find.  The zipper on the case broke, but the reflector is still kickin.

That should get you started.  You’ll also need gels, snoots, grids, scrims, cookies, etc…  but you’ll get that with time.  I do recommend starting with only two lights.  You’ll need/want more if you get into it, but you’ll learn what you can, and can’t do, by starting simple.

Good luck!

hsbn
Whiz
Another post processing technical is HDR effect to accentuate muscle. It works pretty well too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

It's a subjective subject.  In my opinion using HDR this way just looks bad.  Done really, really well, it can look ok.  But short of that it's just not a look I care for.   Don't get me wrong, I think HDR is a great technique - to add dynamic range when the scene needs it.  But, again in my opinion, HDR is best when you can't tell it's HDR.

Announcements