cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LC-E6 shows rapidly flashing amber light. Will not charge battery.

LarryL
Apprentice

The LC-E6 battery Charger that came with my new 5D Mk III failed to operate properly right out of the box. Would not charge my new battery, nor any of my other Canon batteries. Amber charging light blinks rapidly.
The old LC-E6 charger that came with my EOS 7D charges these batteries normally.
I junked the charger that came with my 5D Mk III, and bought a new LC-E6 from B&H. This unit has the same issue. It will sometimes charge some of my Canon batteries, but more often the amber light, after about 20 seconds just blinks rapidly, and will not charge the battery. My old LC-E6 charger still charges all these batteries in normal fashion.
I only use Canon Brand LP-E6 batteries in these cameras.

I have followed the battery charging instructions as found in the owner's guide and online at the Canon USA website. The batteries are relatively new, and show good operating status on the camera Battery Info panel of the camera menu.These units (LC-E6) have never operated properly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim,

AC power checks out normal at my house. All other high tech devices operate normally.

As to replacement by Canon, I do not have the original receipts for this component, so I'll simply purchase another.

Thanks again for your input.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

As there are no menus, nothing configurable, and nothing to reset on the charger, if these two units are failing to charge batteries (but your older charger that came with the 7D can) then it sounds like they're defective and need to be replaced.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the reply, Tim.

I am hesitant to buy another LC-E6 charger from Canon, since two of the three I have purchased have malfunctioned. I have seen a few online entries at various sites, also complaining of the same behavior.

Are there any of you out there who have had experience with third party chargers for Canon LP-E6 batteries?

I thought you mentioned these were new?  Are you not able to exchange them or contact Canon for replacement?

I have three of these same charges and they're all working fine.  I had wondered (but didn't post in the previous reply) if your power was ok.  

At one point I was having some electronics problems at my home and, using a meter, I ultimately discovered that the power in part of my house was only running at 95volts instead of the 110v-115v that normal north american utility companies are supposed to provide and it turned out to be a problem with aging wire in the neighborhood (the power company had to perform a repair).    I only mention this because it seems suspicious that a two of your chargers aren't performing correctly.

Also... when the "working" charger is being used, is it on the exact same power circuit?  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim,

AC power checks out normal at my house. All other high tech devices operate normally.

As to replacement by Canon, I do not have the original receipts for this component, so I'll simply purchase another.

Thanks again for your input.

Looks like Canon issued a product advisory for that, along with it some procedure that is supposed to "fix" it when it happens.  Pretty chinsy Canon.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/canon-lp-e6-product-advisory/

I've got three chargers and all work as expected. Contact Canon for replacement.

Zen

A variation of what is suggested in the advisory worked for me.  I unplugged the charger with the battery still in it, waited 10-15 seconds, and plugged it back in.  

Hey Marcko, thank you for the tip. I had tried all the others and yours was the only one who fixed it for me.

Having the same issue.  If it's blinking twice per second, does that mean it's at 50% as indicated on the icon on the battery charger?

Announcements