cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to track stolen camera

Kranthikumarswa
Apprentice

Hi, 

My camera was stolen and I would like to know if there is a way to track the stolen camera or get a refund on the purchase. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any insurance covered. It was purchase in Nov-2020

Thanks

K

4 REPLIES 4

Peter
Authority
Authority
Register it as stolen at stolencamerafinder.

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

if you own a home, your homeowner's insurance may cover it.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Check with your local agent to see what is covered. It is to one's advantage to list and photograph such things as cameras, firearms, etc, with a complete description, serial numbers, etc. as they might wind up in a pawn shop. Many law enforcement agencies periodically visit pawn shops. The worst scenario if it is at a flea market. Keep one list in a secure place or with a relative and another copy with your insurance file. Had 12 guns stolen in March, 1970. Had to sue the insurance company for the claim. Lawyers wanted to settle but upper management balked, saying we didn't have them. Friends confirmed what we had. Wound up costing the insurance company 4X the original claim. BTW, three of the guns were my grandfather's. Gone!!!

I know, hard to ake a picture of the camera you are listing. Cellphone is valuable there.

Speaking from experience.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"..there is a way to track the stolen camera or get a refund on the purchase."

In a word, no. You would have to be very lucky for it to ever turn up again. Sometime thieves are not the smartest folks and get caught but I wouldn't count in it.

If you used a CC to pay for it, you may have coverage with it. Check if that is a perk with your CC company or bank. Your home owners insurance policy isn't a good solution either because most deductible are well above the cost of even the most expensive cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements