cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse overhyped

John_SD
Whiz

In talking with friends and acquaintances in my area over the past few weeks, it has become clear to me that many of them have no clue about what is coming August 21. Most seem to believe that we in So Cal will be able to observe a total eclipse. In truth, it is estimated that only about 70 percent of the sun will be eclipsed at most. So I suspect that many who are making elaborate plans to observe a star-filled sky at around 10:30 a.m. PDT will be disappointed. 

Now, along the path of totality, that is a different matter. But most other observers will be sorely disappointed if they are expecting to view a total eclipse from their home locations. 

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Possibly the rarity of it happening is the cause of the 'hype'.  They are pretty rare if you want it to see it over the US.  The next one for us won't be until 2045.  I doubt I will be there!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Possibly the rarity of it happening is the cause of the 'hype'.  They are pretty rare if you want it to see it over the US.  The next one for us won't be until 2045.  I doubt I will be there!

It won't take until 2045.

useclipse.jpg

There should be another one 2024.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"There should be another one 2024."

Of course eclipse happen regularly but I was referring, poorly I suppose, to one happening over California where the OP is from.  It will not be a total eclipse for him then either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Pffft.  Not a once in a lifetime event or anything.  Probably 1 or maybe 2 more in the USA before I die.  No idea what the big deal is.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Actually, that one in 2024 looks like it will come ripping by NW Pittsburgh where Iive.  If by some chance I still live here, all I'd have to do is drive about 1 hour to be under the full shadow.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

That 2024 eclipse will be almost directly overhead of me. I'll catch a 95%+ of this one.

I thought of driving south to Nashville but with my luck it will be raining August 21. So instead of tempting the rain gods, I'll either get partial from here or laugh at not driving south into the rain.

diverhank
Authority

There are quite a few people who will travel to Oregon from California where I live to witness this total eclipse.  Airlines are all booked and the average room rate in Oregon for that day is like $600 a night, if you can even find openings...insane is what it is.

I've actually witnessed a total eclipse back in February of 1979 when I lived in Minneapolis, MN.  That was something to see...the sky actually went totally dark for about 2 minutes.  I was in college at the time and had very little photography interest but I did see plenty of photos taken...frankly it's just a black circle overtaking a white circle...I did use a very dark glass panel so I could view the transitions...

So I will skip it this time...it's OK for me to watch from California this time.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

There are quite a few people who will travel to Oregon from California where I live to witness this total eclipse.  Airlines are all booked and the average room rate in Oregon for that day is like $600 a night, if you can even find openings...insane is what it is.

I've actually witnessed a total eclipse back in February of 1979 when I lived in Minneapolis, MN.  That was something to see...the sky actually went totally dark for about 2 minutes.  I was in college at the time and had very little photography interest but I did see plenty of photos taken...frankly it's just a black circle overtaking a white circle...I did use a very dark glass panel so I could view the transitions...

So I will skip it this time...it's OK for me to watch from California this time.

Interesting info and cool report. Thanks, Diverhank. I've never seen a full eclipse myself, but I remember when I was just a kid, still in elementary school, there was an eclipse. We were always playing outside in those days, and I remember my parents telling us not to look at the eclipse, that it could blind us. 

As tempted as I was to look at it, I didn't. In those days, most kids seemed to listen to their parents, at least in my circle of friends. And now that I have the opportunity and means to pay through the nose to travel somewhere along the path of totality, pay for a ridiculously expensive hotel room, rent a car at an exorbitant rate, etc., I will just pass and view our So Cal 70 percent eclipse somewhere in the Laguna mountains. My travel time will take about an hour by car, plus the cost of our picnic supplies. And I'll enjoy every second of it. Camera, solar filter and tripod ready to go. 

Announcements