cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon to replace the shutter button?

John_SD
Whiz

I just read a fascinating article in Digital Camera World that says Canon has filed a design patent which completely eliminates the shutter button and replaces it with a larger pressure-sensitive touchpad, or "touch panel," if you will. I like it! It elminates a hole in the camera body, providing better sealing against dust and moisture, and it eliminates some mechanical, moving parts. The panel is designed to be able to detect a prolonged half-press and a firm full-press for taking the shot. I will be interested to see if this actually goes to market. I expect it to be much more useful than Canon's awful M-fn bar on the R, which was univerally panned. Canon, to its credit, learned from the mistake and we've not seen hide nor hair of the bar on any subsequent release. 

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I wonder how that would work with gloves when it's really cold out.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

Well, the drawing I saw depicts a rather large touchpad surface where the button used to be. For me it won't be a problem in cold weather, despite the fact that I shoot mostly in SoCal. I've been to Yosemite and Sequoia in freezing, bitter cold weather and didn't require gloves that much, though on occassion I did wear them. Never while I was shooting though. It will mostly be a problem for the aged, the infirm, and the klutzes. YMMV. 

@John_SD wrote:

@rs-eos wrote:

Well, the drawing I saw depicts a rather large touchpad surface where the button used to be. For me it won't be a problem in cold weather, despite the fact that I shoot mostly in SoCal. I've been to Yosemite and Sequoia in freezing, bitter cold weather and didn't require gloves that much, though on occassion I did wear them. Never while I was shooting though. It will mostly be a problem for the aged, the infirm, and the klutzes. YMMV. 

I must admit it doen't get below freezing where I live, but I have used fingerless gloves when I want to have fine finger control.  One of the benefits of getting a touch pad could be that it can act as a fingerprint scanner, so the camera could be locked against unauthorized use (like my laptop is) unless the correct print is scanned.  Right now if someone steals a camera they can just turn it on and do a reset and your information is gone.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@rs-eos wrote:

Probably about as well as the touch sensitive joystick on the 1Dx Mark III

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rs-eos wrote:

Probably about as well as the touch sensitive joystick on the 1Dx Mark III

And speaking of Canon, I will hijack my own thread and say that today I received an email notification from B&H basically apologizing for Canon's lateness in being able to supply the EF to RF adapter. The adapters have been out of stock for quite a while now, and I had signed up at B&H to be notified whenever they got them in stock. Thus, today's email, which was appreciated. The email said they would update me every two weeks until the adapters come in. Canon should also apologize for frequently being unable to meet demand, for one reason or another. If it isn't covid, it's a warehouse that burns to the ground or some other "supply line" issue that has them and their customers at the mercy of these incidents. Even in the best of times, Canon seems to misjudge demand. 

In these financial times for DSLR's - never mind COVID - I am sure it is much cheaper for a company to guess wrong about high demand than to guess wrong about low demand.

Announcements