Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

SD Card surprise

Over the years I have accumulated a lot of old SD cards, today I decided to have a sort out of the ones I was never going to use.  I was running them through a card speedtest program when I found one that wouldn't even show up on the PC and seemed to be completely dead. Before I put it in the bin I decided to take it apart (I tend to do things like that !) and was very surprised at what I found.

This was a normal looking cheapie full sized SD card.

IMG_2676.JPG

Inside was a micro SD card, this was not an adaptor, the micro SD was sealed inside and not even soldered in position.

IMG_2675.JPG

Just out of interest I put the micro SD into a card reader and it worked so it was all down to poor connections inside the larger case.

I wonder how many of the fake re-labelled cards are built in this way.

This what a proper full sized SD card looks like inside.

IMG_2678.JPG

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: SD Card surprise

Nice find!

Over the years I've used exactly two brands of SD cards.  Those from Canon (still have a 16 MB one for sentimental sake) and SanDisk.

Yep, do only purchase reputable brands and then only from reputable dealers.  e.g. Amazon is known to to have fake cards.

--
Ricky

EOS 5D IV, 50mm f/1.2L, 135mm f/2 L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT, Vixia HF G50
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Re: SD Card surprise

That's hysterical! Smiley LOL Sure wasn't expecting to see that inside.

I thought maybe there'd be a couple of tiny hamsters running in an excercise wheel. Or  maybe some Seamonkeys.